You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

HWH Slide(s) slow to actuate

if you think you have a solenoid failure, it is fairly easy to swap them with ones that work to troubleshoot.

follow the instructions that hwh gives. i have changed 3 on mine already. not for complete failures but for leaking and causing creep.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks Guy's, I will try to take a look for any leaks this weekend

Dario
#581 2001 45'8"

I was wondering if your coach is running and aired up in travel mode when you operate the slides. I have worked through similar issues and I got lucky.

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Tow 2017 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)

I recently went through an intermittent issue with my front slide not wanting to retract. The issue boiled down to not enough power to operated the front slide while the rear slide worked fine. The hydraulic pump for the front slide to move needs 3000 psi according to HWH field tech I spoke with. In addition, the chassis batteries are the source, not house batteries by default. My issue was finally diagnosed as one of these 3 screw converters from a terminal battery post to a spade battery post not tightening enough to charge battery fully. Replaced it and now is properly charged.

The slide would eventually work after merging batteries and running on high idle for quite a while when I was troubleshooting. Do NOT just assume that just because your gauge shows 13+ volts you have enough voltage. You need amperage capacity not just voltage. After this experience, 12v power will always be my first check when encountering problems.

Best operating procedure to ensure maximum amperage. Engine running on high idle, batteries merged, with shore power or generator to run inverter charger as well.

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

To reinforce what Mike said.  On our coach, while replacing the house batteries and rewiring the batteries to be more balanced while charging, I found some terminals on the house batteries that had corroded about an inch up into the wire from the terminal end (hidden by the heat shrink tubing an wires insulation).  I checked the chassis batteries and found the same problem with several terminals.  Once those where corrected, the front slide I had problems with has worked with no issues.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

when i change batteries, i always check each cable end. like steve said, the corrosion can be hidden by the heat shrink. it also becomes very stiff when corroded. i always keep adhesive shrink tubing to redo them. and if necessary cut off the end and crimp a new one on. i also have hydraulic crimpers.

also check for tight connections. for many years, newell used these military grade brass terminals that went on the posts and the cables bolted to them. i have went to bladed terminal batteries and taken off those connectors. they often are loose.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks for all of your advice. I do have the coach aired up in travel mode, batteries merged, engine in high idle and plugged into 50 amp shore power.If it was a low amperage problem, I wouldn't think the front slide would work just fine and the rear slide went out with no issues. I am going to be looking at the the fuses today, checked for leaks and can't find any. Where would I find the HWH instructions? Also, where could I find instructions for how to retract the slide out if I have a major failure while on the road and can't find help? I will also take a look at the battery terminal connections.
Thanks

Dario Perini
Coach 581, 2001 45'8" double slide