You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

HWH Slide(s) slow to actuate

Forest,
It was early and did not want to wake up my Wife or as Richard put it "beg her" to hold the button:-).....I was not able to check voltages under load.  Since the hydraulics ran the bedroom slide with no issues I used my big assumption card that it was probably ok.  I will get a chance to measure voltages with it working normally in the next day or so for a base line and report back.

Tom,
On our coach I have not seen the magnets but did note the pins lock down on extension and retraction after re-seating the connectors.  I did not pay attention to the locks release or lock down when this problem came up.  So far the slide has worked normally in the several times that I have tried it out.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Newell recommends the batteries merged and high idle.  I did not see this in your statement of conditions but maybe my tired old eyes missed it!!

It takes an enormous amount of DC energy at the pump to make this system work.   Richard might know the required voltage at the pump while running.   You can extend your voltmeter leads through the drivers window and read your VM at the switch.

My ideas, good luck.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Gordon,
Your eyes aren't tired I did not have the batteries merged.  I typically keep the house and chassis batteries separated when parked.   In the past I had never consistently merged the batteries when operating the slides....I will from now on.  That is the beauty of owning a Newell always something new to learn.  Thanks for the tip!

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

I have been having an issue with the rear bedroom slide not extending or retracting quickly, sometimes taking multiple attempts while holding the panel push button for 30 seconds or longer, then finally it would slide in or out as normal. This week the front slide also began to act slowly but did work. Well, call me an idiot. When we bought this coach from MOT, the only hydraulic reservoir I was shown was the large one in the engine compartment thinking this also was for the slide outs.
In the front driver side compartment where the HWH system is located along with the Howard steering(not working), I noticed a small reservoir thinking it was for the Howard Steering, but apparently this is for the HWH system. I finally checked the dip stick on it and got no reading at all, so I do believe this is my problem.
My question is, what type of fluid should I use. The manual says only HWH, but even they have different types. I want to fill the tank and both slides are in.

Thanks
Dario Perini
2001 #581 45'8" double slide

I use Dexron auto trans fluid in mine.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Auto transmission fluid.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks for the input. Is it OK to mix trans fluid with HWH fluid?

Dario

Yes ! You are not really mixing anything. To the best of my knowledge HWH fluid is non dyed tranny fluid. I think they switched to the non dyed stuff during the time period they had a batch of leaking hoses in the field. Might have been something about pink dyed contents of basement contents..................

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Well I filled the hydraulic tank and both slides began to act normal but now that I am back in North Carolina and have the coach in covered storage the bedroom slide is again acting up. When I put both slides out they worked just fine but now the bedroom slide does not want to retract. When I push the retract switch. I can hear the pump working but even after holding it for around 15 secs, nothing. The front slide works great in both directions with no delay. I operate the slides with engine running on fast idle and the batteries are fully charged. Being it was over two quarts low when I filled it in May, is there a chance of having air in the lines? I have tried pushing the switch several times and still nothing. 
Thanks

Dario Perini
#581 2001 45'8"

Check the level again with the slides in.

But if it’s low again.........that fluid is going somewhere. Take a good hard look at the drive side rear wheel well, and then scoot between the tag and drive tire and look around. A few of us have had leaks in the hydraulic hoses in this area.

If the fluid level is fine, then you likely have a retract or extend solenoid failure.

Third in line for likelihood is the fuse on the circuit board for the rear retract solenoid.

Fourth is the relay for the retract solenoid.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad