You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Paintin the Newell!

We painted the pinstripe areas charcoal then taped them off before applying the silver paint. After that it gets clear coated.

Apologies to the forum moderators. I cannot get these pics to rotate properly......    

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Very nice workmanship looks professional!

As far as your pics are concerned, there is a thread talking about a fix for sideways pics.  The cliff notes version....open the image up in your image editing software.  With the image straight up and down rotate it clockwise then rotate it back counter clockwise to straight up and down....save the image at that point and post it in the forum.  It should be straight up and down when viewed in the forum....it has worked for me.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Our Newell had the logo painted on. I took a pic of it to a sign shop. They digitally processed it to the dimensions I gave them and made an adhesive vinyl mask. We used the mask as a stencil to paint it. This view shows the mask installed before the turquoise paint was applied.

Thank you for the tip, Steve!!! It worked!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

This view is after the turquoise paint was applied, the mask removed, then clear coated.

Gorgeous. The clear looks very good.

I can’t tell from the pics. Is the clear smooth enough for you, or are you going to wet sand and buff?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I bought a high solids clear. It is more durable and less likely to suffer solvent pop if reduced properly. It will look "orange peely" if you dont apply it fairly wet. If it is too wet it will sag. TJ repaired a few sags yesterday. We are wet sanding and buffing today..... Feel free to stop in, Richard!!!

Here are pics of the clear coat finishing process. The first pic is the clear coat as sprayed. It has cured for 24 hrs. The second is during the wet sanding process, first with 1000 grit, then 1500 grit . The third is after the first machine buffing. Altogether I spent approximately 2 hrs on this corner.

I love you man, cause you just made me feel a ton better about my own painting. I would always look at clear I had sprayed and think I couldn’t have possibly produced more orange peel. Mine looks about like yours before any wet sanding.

I don’t know if this helps you or not, but hand sanding a coach will produce Popeye arms. I used a 6 inch random for the large flat areas. And I eventually added a 3 inch long throw orbital for the tighter places. The three inch is the bees knees. Pads and wet dry discs easily found on Amazon.

Your coach is going to be gorgeous !!!!!!!!! And your arms will be swole too!!

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Yes we used a 6” orbital to wet sand the flat areas. I am not an expert painter but I understand that you have to find the best balance of reducer/hardener/and spray technique. More reducer will help the material flow out to a decent shine but too much reducer will result in “solvent popping” as it cures over the next 6 months. Any nice paint job I have seen required many hours of sanding/buffing. Today we removed all of the mask from the turquoise and masked the newly painted silver. Planning to paint turquoise tomorrow.

You’re doing a great job and it looks terrific! Hope you’ll post pictures of it when you unmask it