You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Classic belly AC upgrade

Not being an electrician or engineer I hope those of you who are can confirm or correct me on this.  I believe I have 110v going to my AC units based on the breakers.   Am I correct in assuming this?   The last breaker, the duel is the one labeled as washer/dryer.  I believe everything else in our bus is 110v.  

I want to be sure I order the correct replacement unit based on voltage.  I have picked out a 115v unit, just want to make sure as I Would have thought in 1985 most AC units would be 230v.  

Learning every day.        

Mark and Melanie
1985 Newell 40’
#75 ? (still not confirmed)
First motor coach

110. Each of the units is just about a ton or 12000 BTU. Typical for RVs.

If the coaches or any other RV used 230V AC units, it would dictate that the rig was always on 50 amp plug in. You get 230 across the two phases of a 50 amp plug. But you only get 110 on 30 amp service.

So, you are moving the blower to open up that bay, and installing a new? AC?

Are you going to adapt a mini split? Or install a ducted self contained unit?

And forgive me for butting in, but what is wrong with your current setup that cannot be repaired or is unsuitable?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Feel free to ask Richard, the system that was in bus probably could have been restored (a major undertaking) but considering the rust and overall poor condition we felt a new unit made more financial sense for us.  We are putting in a ductless unit, the outside unit fits in the bay where the blower was, and the blower fits on the opposite side where the old AC unit was.   So that is the reason for the switch.  My wife did ask if there wasn’t another bay I could use but the answer is there is not another option on the front half of our bus.

Mark and Melanie
1985 Newell 40’
First motor coach

Always love to see folk’s ingenuity. Is this a custom unit or commercially available one? Are you using a mini split? Is it safe to say the original units are the Dometics?

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Please keep us informed as to your progress. Our coach was manufactured in the last few weeks of 1984 and we too have the original front a/c unit mounted in the left bay under the driver.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Richard, The units in our bus were by The Duo-Therm Corporation (later Dometic).  I had to do a history lesson on Dometic to find that out.  Apparently Dometic expanded there company in 1985 by acquiring The Duo-Therm Corporation.

The unit we have decide to install is a mini split.  We haven’t finalized our pick but it is between a Pioneer or Mitsubishi.  The Pioneer is available all over the internet but if I can get the Mitsubishi that is my preference.  I haven’t found a dealer selling the package I need by Mitsubishi yet.  Still trying to verify if I buy the individual Mitsubishi components they will work together.  

Guy, I will try to update you, if you don’t see it send me a reminder.

Mark and Melanie
1985 Newell 40’
First motor coach

Mark please take plenty pictures of your install. I've been interested in mini splits for a while now and if/when my roof airs die I might consider replacing them with mini splits. This is on a Foretravel but the same principles would apply to a Newell. First you need room for the compressor unit then a place to mount the evaporators inside. The evaps should fit where the valence is by cutting out a section. The copper tubing & wiring run is already there for the existing split units on your coach, or through the ductwork on newer coaches with the SCS units.
I've been following a few who have made this conversion, mostly in 5th wheels, and they have all been very pleased with the better performance and lack of noise.
Good luck!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Ok, I was sort of guessing at your approach based on the other clues. Please take my comments as intended. I am NOT trying to dissuade you, criticize the approach, or take you in a different direction. I am just thinking out loud.

I think you realize from your research that the Dometic AC units are in fact the forerunners of today's mini splits. Of course they don't have the inverter driven variable speed fans and compressors that make the minis so efficient though. So my out loud wondering is can you mount the outside unit where the existing outside unit is currently located and also mount the inside unit where the current inside unit is mounted? You would have to carefully consider the physical dimensions of each unit and space. You might even have to repackage them a bit. The reasons for my questions have to do with the amount of work involved. If you could utilize the existing locations for the externals and internals then you could utilize the existing lineset and the existing power supply. You would not have to move the gen blower, and you would not have to get ducting through the floor and into the coach. It's just a thought.

Second out loud thought, is why a mini split instead of traditional roof airs? Some folks are attracted to the minis because of the energy comsumption, and foresee installing lithium batteries to possibly power the AC. That plan falls apart when they realize that they need a 56V lithium pack and inverter to make it work. The expense of such a conversion is prohibitive.

And third, we have owned three coaches. One with the Dometic, one with the SCS basement air, and one with roof airs. The Dometics were by far my favorite for cooling and noise. My bride does NOT like to be hot. The kids nicknamed the coach with the Dometics, "The Meatlocker". We wore sweatshirts anytime she was in the coach because she kept it so cold.

Again, just throwing stuff out while you are in the planning stage. I have a wee bit of experience with the units in the coaches, and I am just trying to help you make it work. And to keep your bride cool too !

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Richad. """That plan falls apart when they realize that they need a 56V lithium pack and inverter to make it work. The expense of such a conversion is prohibitive."""

Why would a 56v battery be required?

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.