You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Engine Starting

Good Morning!    Planning a visit to the shop today to have airbag leak addressed.    Engine no start.     Last run was about 4 weeks ago, which isn't usually a problem.   Plenty of fuel.     After several cranks, I got a rough idle for a few seconds, then quit.     Subsequent attempts won't fire.

Is there a priming process?   Seems like all a big diesel needs in warm weather is fuel...

Detroit Series 60

Thanks!
Chuck

2001 #579 ("Chester's Coach")

Maybe a dirty fuel filter? Do you have a spare (and some diesel to fill it)?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Chuck,

Look on the side of the fuel tank where the fill port is. Some coaches have a manual priming pump right there. Round black knob.

If not, unscrew the cap on top of the Racor filter, and pour in a quart of automatic transmission fluid.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

@Richard, I have the black round knob on the fuel tank and never knew what it was. Not at coach to play with it, but wondering how to operate the primer?

Also, what does the quart of ATF do for the fuel?
Thanks Mike

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

ATF burns cleanly in a Diesel engine. Using a fresh quart of ATF ensures that you don’t introduce foreign material if you put diesel in a container and poured it into the filter.

Unscrew the knob and pump.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Hi Richard,
Thanks for that! I just relayed the primer info to the mechanic that is making a house call. (I do trust him but wish I were there.) Will share the outcome when we have one.
Cheers!

"Unscrew the knob and Pump"

That's like the old Coleman lanterns and stoves.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

Of course that worked. Humbling...
Thanks!