You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1976 Newell Rescue

I was the 2nd owner of a 1976 Newell that we lived in & traveled extensively for a few years. Newell refurbished it some time before we bought it so the interior is good. It has less than 100K miles on it.

I sold it on eBay 7 years ago to a Canadian buyer. He let it sit in storage in Florida all these years. It now has to be moved by mid-August. 

I don't have the time or desire to put it back in roadworthy condition. It needs the fuel flushed & tanks drained & cleaned. I put a new battery in it & briefly turned the key with new fuel in the filters. It turned over but I really didn't try to start it. It has a Cummins 555 which always started & ran great.

The exterior shows 7 years sitting outdoors. The interior is surprisingly good. No smell; no mold; no apparent rodent or bug problem.

The owner is tired of paying storage & would probably let it go with a small remuneration. I don't want to speak for him.

I have access to the coach in storage in West Palm Beach. I have an estimate to tow it to a shop and purge the fuel lines for both the main engine & generator for $2500. If the main engine doesn't start he'll take it for salvage & cover the $2500. It has a newer Izuzu generator that will probably make the salvage worthwhile.

It's a fun coach--always gets a thumbs-up from truckers when I fuel up. It pulled a Camry effortlessly from Denver to MN & FL a couple of times.

I hate to see it go to the shredder. Anyone out there want to take it on?

Ted 303-506-7804

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Have a '76 Newell that needs rescue.
Ted Johnson
Lake Worth Beach, FL

Why do the tanks need to be drained? Did you check and see if has microbial contamination or water? I'm assuming there's a little water in the tanks if they weren't full when put in storage. A cheap person might just pull the drain cock until diesel is running out, drop in a bunch of biocide and bring along a bakers dozen of fuel filters.

-Richard
1976 Newell

Or find a fuel polisher guy and let him polish the fuel, shouldn't cost much more than clogged fuel filters. And in Florida there should be plenty with all of the diesel boats around.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337