You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Classic alternator

Revisiting low charging voltage from alternator that was rebuilt and upgraded to 220 amp back in 2018 . The unit is a Leece Neville  with 102200 regulator which is non adjustable , and is driven directly off blower shaft . The highest output I have seen is 13.6 V with fully charged batteries . When driving in daylight the voltage will fall back below 12.5 V , at night with all lights on it will drop below 12 and steadily loses from there , cruising at 65mph . The housing was broken when the alternator was returned after rebuild , regulator mounting was broken , rotor would not turn . Sent it back , when it arrived second time the reg mount had been replaced , housing still broken , rotor would not turn . No housings available , so I knew I was on my own , loosened through bolts , shifted stator to get rotor clearance , put a clamp around the housing to keep chips from falling off and ran it . Probably should have scrapped it at that point , but it looked like  $2K plus for a new one , or a Wilson for about $700. Early this year I sourced a used belt drive set up from ebay , just the drive , would need to get an alternator if I decide to go with this .
I am wondering if anyone out there has switched to a belt drive alternator on an 8V92 ? I think it may be the same on a 6V . My reasoning is that I believe the belt driven alternator would be more accessible .
 Hope everyone is well ,
Thanks ,
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Chris,

Wish I still had the alternator out of mine, it was freshly rebuilt. I did some Google searches and was surprised how few listings for 8V92 alternators I found, when I had mine rebuilt there were a lot. The mechanic that's doing my driveline swap seems to have a lot of resources for old parts, I'll ask him for suggestions if you want. He probably is familiar with alternator brackets for mounting standard alternators.

jon

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Jon ,
  The belt drive set up came with the brackets for conventional alternator , I think I would need alternator and belts to complete the changeover . The original alternator was 80 amp ( if memory serves) ,I looked back at a picture of the dash from 2017 , the ammeter was positive ! I think a 100 or 125 amp alternator will do the job . Any input regarding parts or other greatly appreciated .
Thanks,
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

You could probably go to an auto parts store and find an alternator that fits your bracket. A quick search of Amazon, I was able to find a 220w alternator for $82.51 with free shipping. https://www.amazon.com/DB-Electrical-ADR...ef=sr_1_18

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Alternator update . Located a used Delco Remy 160 amp J 180 alternator with double pulley at local truck shop . Alternator looks great , we'll see if it performs . 
Removed the direct drive Leece Neville 220 amp alternator this morning , somewhat difficult as it is longer than original and has to be turned just right for the drive coupler to clear . Did a resistance test on the rotor - open circuit . I'm guessing about 3500 miles since rebuild/upgrade with 30 day warranty in 2018 . Oh well. 
Back to the belt drive set up , I seem to have everything now except for the bracket that the alternator mounts to , the pivot part . I have the adjusting strap and bracket as well as the drive , pulley , etc. I found a picture of an engine with the bracket ,but have been unable to find one for sale . I should be able to make what I need , but would prefer buying the part as my time is limited . 
Stay tuned as I move at glacier speed ...
Chris

Sorry for all the pics ! Have no idea what I'm doing !
Chris

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand