You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Roof maintenance

I think it is of interest to state that a Newell roof , as far as I know, is a continuous sheet of aluminum.

So when searching for leaks , as it has been stated previously, the penetrations are always highly suspect.  All the contributors to this thread are spot on with their advice.

What a great group!

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Try Jamestown Distributors

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard. Looks like a great resource. Have you used the stuff?

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/pr...etail/2005

2001 #579 ("Chester's Coach")

No, used a lot of the 5200. Next time i need it i will try the uv version.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

One item I don’t see in the response is around the slide seal corners. On some models the corner On the slide is too sharp for for the air seal, and you need a bead of sealant (looks like a caterpillar) to fill the gap where the air seal may not be sealing correctly. Check with both slide and slide out. Sorry, I could not find a picture.

Also, marker lights especially on front are prone to leak and need sealant.

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

All good notes. I just replaced marker lights to finish the repaint of end caps, and I was careful to use silicone between and around the screw holes and wire hole, both sides of the gasket. Then snug up the screws a week later as the gasket takes a set.

I eliminated all the current leaks on this round and did a little of each tactic: cleaned weep drains, resealed window flanges, removed and capped an unused and leaking cell phone antenna. Even caulked the trim rail that joins the roof surface to the side surface; anyone know the section detail of that assembly? Mine is a bit irregular, but I have no idea whether it's a potential leak.

2001 #579 ("Chester's Coach")