You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New to Newell

I've been hanging around the site since I joined in June.  We purchased our first Newell #472 in July this year.  Now that we've had the coach for 30 days, I'm ready to share my experience.

The Newell is our fourth coach.  We started in 1999 with a used gas Allegro and decided we liked rving.  In 2001 we purchased a new 36' diesel Travel Supreme and enjoyed it for 11 years.  In 2012 we purchased a 2006 Travel Supreme Select and thought we were in hog heaven.  We decided this year life is too short and why leave it to the kids!  So, we decided to purchase #1472 and OMG!  We've always heard the stories and thought, "year, really?"  The comfort level of the drive is a definite improvement and the quietness inside when driving is remarkably improved.  No more wind noise or rattling of the slides.  I don't fee as much transfer of movement from the road in the steering wheel when I drive now.  It's simply a better driving experience.  Also, the active tag axle sure makes backing up a lot easier.

Once at the campground the setup and tear down is easier with the Newell.  The functions are basically the same, it's just not as labor intensive with the Newell.  In previous coaches the deployment of the slides was not difficult but the noises they made caused you to wonder if they were going to make it.  With the Newell the drop-down floor and smoothness of the extension/retraction process is very nice.  And, with the Newell we no longer have the deployment process of the jacks!  Very nice!  Although the size is comparable to the TSS the inside living area is roomier.  I'm guessing due to the deeper curbside slides and the floor plan.  And, I'm guessing the huge windows provide the illusion you're in a bigger environment.  Once again, the height of both coaches is the same, but the Newell had more head room.  During my purchasing decision I was impressed with the easy access to the various components.  Considering in the past I performed a variety of repairs when on the road it's nice o have accessibility for performing the repairs.  On past coaches getting to the various repairs was a challenge at times.  I did give up a little bay area storage, but I still managed to organize he Newell's bays to get my required items in them.

Really, the list of "dang this is nice" can go on and on, so I don't want to elaborate on everything.  Suffice to say, the wife and I re very pleased with our purchase.  Yes, all the little things add up, so the cost of the Newell is quite a bit more, but the level of enjoyment has gone up too.  An, now when I have those repairs to do, I don't have to search the internet and formulate a plan f action.  I can call the 24/7 service support line and be directed where to do what.  That'll be nice to have that knowledge available for the inevitable repair that will be needed at the least opportune time.  To date my overall Newell experience has been great.  I'm hoping the experience continues for years to come!

Dale
2013 Newell #1472

You will find their customer support is second to none 24/7/365.

Michael and Mona Corrigan
2008 Newell #1248
2010 Mini Cooper S

dale,

nice writeup. it sounds like you do alot of things yourself. so hopefully you will document those things on our forum for the benefit of others with coaches of similar years.

welcome and thanks

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Welcome Dale. We would love to see additional photos of your beautiful Newell. Continue to enjoy your coach.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Hi Dale

Looks like you bought our coach! I’m very happy to hear it’s in good hands and you are enjoying it. We owned it for 5 years and owned a 2003 Newell #665 before 1472. I can assure you I took very good care of it, it was stored in climate controlled garage, repairs and service done at Newell, we live 2.5 hours from Newell so it was easy for me to get there when needed. Newell treated me squarely on both the buying and selling side.

My family made amazing memories and it was hard to let it go. My kids are at an age where we were beginning to use it less and I could see the writing on the wall of us using it less in the near future. My wife and I will buy another Newell in about five years or so.

While Newell service knows way more than me, message or email me if you’d like to discuss anything or if you have any questions I can help you with. Fortunately, Newell’s of various vintages share many design traits such as the coach air system. Definitely learn about that here on Gurus. This site and the kind folks on it were a huge help to me, especially just perusing and learning from others.

Enjoy your travels!

Jason

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

Dale,

Welcome to the forum. The quiet rattle free ride was something that struck me the first time I drove a Newell. It's the glued and screwed connections.

Let me echo Tom's comments. We REALLY need owners of the later vintage Newells to document their issues and fixes on the forum. We have a huge data base here on the earlier vintages, but very little on coaches after the 2010 or so models. I am sure as the newer models matriculate into the hands of DIY owners, the information pool will grow.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Jason, you took good care of the coach.  So far, we're really enjoying it.  It's at the factory getting some upgrades installed and minor fixes.  Then it's off to North Carolina to visit the son and grandkids, then back to Branson for a few days.

Tom and Richard.  As time proceeds I'll be happy to share my experiences.  In the past, I was in a position of having to gather a variety of opinions and take a stab at the fixes due to necessity.  I had an orphan coach with no specific point of reference to call.  Hopefully, with Newell's service department support I'll get good upfront information to fix the issues as they arise while on the road and won't have to set around scratching my head as to "will this work or will it cause more issues".  I much prefer to allow the experts do the fixes but that isn't always convenient when you're traveling.  To this point, I'm learning the coaches systems and the do's and don'ts.  Most of the components are theoretically the same as other coaches but in many instances just plain better products.  Newell does the job right up front.  I've read several post from a variety of the members and I'm impressed with the knowledge on this forum.  Can't say I'm that smart, just persistent and desperate to resolve inevitable issues when they arise.

Dale
2013 Newell #1472

Welcome Dale you will enjoy the learning curve. With the newer coaches you may have to lead the pack as so many systems are new and upgraded form our earlier units. Please take pics and I look forward to your journey! The guys here are very helpful.

home: Southern California
05 #746 quad slide 2000i, 
Steerable tag 
Detroit Diesel series 60 515 hp
Allison trans

Toad 2013 Avalanche Black Diamond edition 4 wheel drive

Welcome, Dale!
My first Newell was a 1978 . I was amazed at how solid it felt and how quiet compared to other coaches. I have done extensive remodeling on my current 1993 coach. The unique and time consuming construction methods employed are very interesting when we actually got down to the “bones” of the coach. I changed the floor plan which involved disassembling walls and rebuilding (I don’t “demo” like u see on HGTV!!! ) When we “reassembled” the walls we used the same techniques I had learned by disassembling them. My message is that there is a difference when a MH is built to a standard , not a price. You have experienced That difference and very effectively shared that with us!!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.