You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New Newell owners

Hello Newell friends,
We're Dale & Shari Nelson and we've just purchased our Newell #599 triple slide and took delivery of it about 
10 days ago. We picked it up in South Haven, MI and headed for our home in Denver, CO.... we stopped and 
spent the night in western Illinois. The following day we headed west toward Omaha and stopped at the Shelby
RV Park in Shelby, IA....super nice helpful people running that place (we'd need that the next day) we get ready to
leave on Sunday put in the 2 rear slides, we're putting in the front slide and the floor drops and it stops. My heart
skipped a beat as we haven't even made it home....

So I called Newell and they're very helpful but I'm not the right person to fix my RV, in the bay in the front drivers side
I can hear a click when we try to move the slide, I immediately thought solenoid but at this point know absolutely 
nothing about this coach. I had an RV serviceman come out from Omaha and he spoke with the service people 
from Newell to troubleshoot with no easy obvious fix. He ended up bypassing the solenoid and was able to get
the slide in. At this point none of the slides work. I've talked to Jim Raymond with Newell service and he has been very helpful, I was able to meet Jim about 2 weeks as we went to Newell and looked at a coach in Miami. 

I've been reading this forum for a few days now and feel a little overwhelmed but I'm determined to learn what I need
so we really enjoy our coach. Our RV life was a 1989 Winnebago Superchief we bought new and enjoyed for about 
3 yrs, by then we had our 5th child and sold the RV and ran our businesses and raised the 3 boys, 2 girls. 

The lady we bought the coach from used it very little and I didn't get much information from her,  my frustration so far is trying to figure out how everything 
works, I want to find someone who can go over the coach with us to help us understand it. I've tried to set up service 
in Colorado but everyone is booked for 1-2 months. We're going to take the coach to St. Louis this Thursday and try to 
set up service there or in Miami at Newell.

I was reading in the forum and a couple of the guru's are going to Elkhorn Ridge Resort in June of 2021, I said to my wife
we need to go and meet you. I can see on the forum how nice you are and helpful with the other Newell owners.
I look forward to meeting some of you in the future.

Dale & Shari Nelson
2001 Newell 45' #599 Triple Slide

Dale,

I have the electric Valid slides so I cannot help on the HWH slides that you have...but....you have come to right place. These coaches are complex but are incredibly well built. I have owned my coach 10 years and whenever I think that Newell designed something “weirdly”...its cause I didn’t understand.

The folks here are ready and willing to help.

Tell us again what happened...and take pictures if possible of the “bypass”.

If “your are the not the right person to fix” you RV. Do you have a friend or neighbor who can help?

Cheers,
Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Welcome to the forum!!!!!

Your post is a little confusing.  None of your slides move now?  If so, I would suspect that the slide motor has gone bad.  Motor sits below the solenoids in the left front bay.  With a volt meter verify that 12V are going to and from the solenoid, with the ignition on and slide switch depressed.  Then follow the large battery type cable to the motor and verify 12V is reaching the motor--ignition on & slide switch depressed.  With the ignition on and slide switch depressed you can hear the motor if it is working.

Simple and inexpensive fix.  Two bolts and the battery cable hold the motor on and can be removed without losing fluid.

Elreg sells the motor.  https://www.elreg.com/products/dc-motors/

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Dale and Shari,

Welcome to the Forum! My wife and I don't have a Newell...Yet!

I was very interested in buying that coach. I had a hip replacement earlier this year and I'm still not able to travel any great distance so I was unable to inspect that coach. I will be able to travel long distances in the future.
You have a very beautiful rig and a few years ago one of the Guru's (not the owner) posted very good reviews on how she drove and the condition of her. I did some research on this forum and found out the previous owner's posts. It took a while and I was able to piece together a timeline of the posts. It was very informative and added to why I was pursuing #599. I wish I could remember his name...
I know these rigs can be overwhelming when things go wrong. I try to stay calm, keep it simple, and remember that you eat an elephant just one small bite at a time. Some or most of the fixes are simple and easy when you know the systems.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

Welcome. It sounds like the service guy may have disconnected something when he bypassed the solenoid to get that slide in. The guys at Newell are very helpful as are the guys here on the forum. Stand by and be ready to answer questions and I'm sure you'll get helpful hints.
And definitely plan to attend the no-rally in Spearfish next year. You'll meet a great bunch of guys and will learn lots about your coach.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

If your slides are made by HWH they are right up the road from u in Moscow , IA. Right on I-80. Google them and call ahead if possible.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

All of you guru's are amazing, to get the response from so many just blows my mind. Steve Magown coach #457 sent me a message to call him and we spent an hour on the phone talking this morning. He was so helpful and answered many questions but I  must say I'm still overwhelmed but I'm really excited to learn more about this coach.

We put the 2 rear slides in and went to do the front one and the floor dropped and it stopped, Steve #457 believes the voltage had dropped too low when we put the 3rd slide in since the key was in the on position and engine not running. We were instructed to only have the key in the on position, I spoke with Creslie at Newell service today and he advised to have
the coach running. So at this point Steve #531 none of the slides are working, I truly lack the knowledge at this point to fix it myself but I'm a quick learner and look forward to meeting up with guru's at some point.

I'm heading to St Louis with the coach on Thursday, I live in both Denver and STL and split time between the two. If there's any guru's out there that would be able to meet up and show me a little about my coach I'd love to do it. Unfortunately the previous owner had some tough circumstances and didn't own the coach for long, I unfortunately wasn't able to pick up enough of the basics from her. Newell can get me in for service the 3rd week of September, it's only 290 miles from my St Louis home so I can get it down there pretty easy.

Bill #653, Steve Magown did a bypass on his coach #457 as a permanent fix without issues so I'm interested in doing that to my coach as well. I'm going to head up to Spearfish in June of 21 and meet some you. Right now I'm really busy with work so I haven't been able to put the time into this new project. Once again thank for all the help and I look forward to
meeting you in the future.

Dale & Shari Nelson
2001 Newell 45' #599 Triple Slide

HWH had me bypass a shuttle valve that was stuck, the shuttle was installed because my coach, #458, originally came with leveling jacks and was later converted to air leveling. My HWH is a Model 600, most coaches won't have the shuttle valve because they quit using the leveling jacks soon after my build. My coach is around the 10th coach built with a slide.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Hello Dale!

Were just south of you at Fort Leonard Wood.  We are still shopping for our Newell but wanted to say HELLO none the less.  Were hoping to find our Newell soon!  I have been in this group since 2017 just doing my homework in preparation for a purchase.  Were finally ready!!  

All the best!

Searching our first Newell
Wish me luck  Big Grin

Sorry I'm late to reply, but I am just east of St. Louis near Scott AFB. I'm handy and can help you figure it out if you need it.
-Chris
1990 #234

Chris and Family
1990 Newell 43.5' #234