You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Window Removal

Does anyone know what is involved in removing the fixed portion of the drivers side window?  It's a Storm-tite brand window.  Thepane you look through to see the mirror has lost it's seal and is full of condensation.  I was thinking about getting a "David Root" DIY kit and fixing it myself.

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

it just uses regular rubber seals. assuming you are going to leave the entire window installed and just remove the fixed pane.

what i dont know is if they use any siki sealant or not. i would guess not, but dont know

i would be careful when popping it out so it doesnt shoot out like a projectile and explode on the ground.

i did replace all the entire windows (frames and all) on my 90 years ago. it was alot of work

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I saw where it had rudder strips around the window on the outside, so just pry them out from the outside?

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

thats what i would do. use something plastic. be careful not to ruin the rubber so you can reuse it. then look and see if there is any adhesive holding the window in i cant imagine getting a new glass made for it would be very expensive

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Got the window out, only took 3 days. Smile Used a blade to cut the sealant on the inside then used progressively thicker wooden wedges to try and gradually work it out without overly stressing it. Should have the repair kit in soon, I'll report in on how it goes reinstalling.

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

After getting the window out undamaged I had the two sheets laying on a sheet of paper on the kitchen island cleaning them when the cloth grabbed on the face of the outer sheet rotating it to the point that the corner struck the back edge of the inner sheet creating the slightest of nicks.  When I went to clean the inner sheet it shattered into a thousand pieces.  The inner sheet is 1/8" low-e tempered glass so I had to make a pattern and take it to Binswanger to have them cut the glass and send it to have it tempered, 4 days and $90 later I had a new sheet.  Yesterday I put them together and sealed the edge leaving it to cure overnight.  Came out pretty good for a first effort.        While cleaning the mating face of the frame (the stuff Storm-Tite mounts the glass with is really thick and extremely sticky) and trying to figure out how to reinstall the window I found that the exterior rubber trim can easily be pulled out of the slot it's mounted in.  Removing the trim made reinstalling the glass a straightforward process.        All I had to do is apply a bead of sealant, install glass and reinstall the rubber trim, easy-peasy.      I'll trim the squeeze out on the inside tomorrow after it cures.

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

Excellent write up!

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )