You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Allison HT 741 electronic 4 speed transmission

I'm looking at Newell with the Allison HT 741 4 speed transmission.  Can anyone share there experience with that tranny?  How does it compare to the newer 4000 series 6 speeds, how reliable was it, how smooth do they shift, etc.

It is paired with a DD60 series.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Doug and Cathy Musick
Coach 370
1994, 45', non-slide
DD60, Allison 741

The HT 741 was an electronic version of the HT 740. The 740 and 741's were the transmission of choice by Newell from the time they introduced the DD 8V92 during the 1984 models until part way through the 1995 model year. The 6 speed has advantages of additional gears and can shift a little smoother since the gears are closer together but the 741 doesn't shift as often. The 740/741 is a strong transmission that works well. I would prefer the 6 speed just from a flexibility standpoint in the mountains but the 741 is a dependable hard working, long lasting transmission. Either will get the job done.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Our 1984 has the 4 speed. It does exactly what it is asked to do. On flat land it is very comfortable at 65 mph and 1700 rpm .We spend time in the west, and pull an enclosed approx 10k lb  trailer with a car inside. On hills it would be nice to have another gear. It is a big gap  down shifting when starting to lug on a long pull. On the positive side, it forces me to keep my rpms up and just take my time going up , and down mountains. Being a "classic", we have engine heat constraints and more rpms and  less speed is a very good thing on mountains in the 7% range. I am guessing you folks running Detroit 60s don't have the engine temperature issue. 

I just had the transmission serviced in California and the repair shop which also services Cal Fire trucks told me the 4 speeds were the bullet proof transmissions in the day for fire fighters.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

I have the 741 in our coach. 
It seems to be fine on flat/rolling
Roads
A long grade may require you to watch engine
Temp 
But i like the trans

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

The comments sound like it is a reliable transmission which is the most important thing for my pocket book. I can handle going a little slower when I need too. Had the coach out for a test drive in flat to slightly rolling hills and it purred along at 70 with plenty of pedal left.

My intent is to only drive around 62 - 65 anyway, but that is easier said than done with my heavy foot.

Thank you for the input!