You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

A mistake I thought I would never make

Yesterday after we left Stuart, FL we stopped at the Flying J at exit 131 off I-95 to get propane and a $100 of diesel....it was $4.29/ gallon there so we wanted enough to get our tank above 1/4 and then head up to Melbourne where we were going to spend the night and Gas Buddy showed a good diesel price at $3.95/ gallon.....not bad right now.

We arrived in Melbourne around 12:30 and headed to the station shown on Gas Buddy. We spied the green handled pumps and pulled in. Right away I noticed the price on the green handled pump was 4.09....much higher than the reported price, so I decided just to get $200 worth, which would put us up over 1/2 tank and then look for a better price on our way up to St. Augustine.

We finished fueling and headed back down the street to the Lowe's to park for the day. We planned to have lunch with friends, and spend the afternoon with them.

About a mile down at a stop light the engine stopped. I've never had that happen before. It did restart, so we continued down the road. About a mile later at a stop light it stopped again.....hmmmmm....did I get bad diesel?

As we were pulling into the Lowe's parking lot the engine died again, this time for good. Fortunately it was a slight down hill and we were able to coast to a stop in a decent parking position.

The engine would turn over, but not fire. I got on the phone with Good Sam and talked with a representative who said he would find a mobile mechanic in the area who could come out.....at this point I was thinking bad fuel....maybe clogged fuel filters.

I then contacted our friends to tell them we would be available for lunch.....Chris suggested they come over, bring some diesel so we could change out the filters (I have two extra sets) and see if that was the problem. So they came, and we changed the filters, primed the news ones and screwed them back in place. The DD fired right up and ran for about 5 minutes, then shut down again sputtering.

At this point Chris suggested I call the gas station and find out when they last filled their diesel tank, and had anyone else complained. I called and explained to the young lady what had happened after I bought diesel at their station......she replied "Sir, we don't sell diesel here"

I was stunned...I had just been there and used the green handled nozzle....she again emphatically said they did not sell diesel at that station......all of a sudden the realization hit both Chris and I.....I had put in 50 gallons of their mid range unleaded gas.....they apparently use green nozzles for that grade......doh!

Shortly thereafter the mobile mechanic arrived. I told him what the problem was. We needed to get the bad fuel out, and he was not equipped for something like that....there is 100 gallons to remove. Chris suggested (seeing a trend here?) I call a local marina to get a referral for a mobile marine mechanic....he felt they must have to do this kind of thing a lot with boats sitting for a long time and the fuel goes bad, or something. So I did that and got a referral to a guy who referred me another guy who has a waste oil truck which can pump out the fuel and dispose of it. I could have gotten the fuel out, but what am I going to do with twenty 5 gallon cans of bad fuel?

So, he will be here this morning at 9 am to pump out the bad fuel, then we will put about 30 gallons of good fuel in so we can drive to a station that actually sells diesel and fill up......a $400 lesson (just for the fuel....the pump out will cost $150....drive time, plus labor, plus disposal of the bad fuel).

I also talked to my mechanic at Choo Choo Express Garage and Don told me I shouldn't have any damage with only a few miles driven. I felt if I could get out half, 50 gallons, I could add 3 quarts of ATF, or 3 quarts of 30 weight oil to neutralize the gas, and then fill up with good diesel, but I feel more comfortable taking it all out. After all the price is the same to pump 100 gallons, or 50 gallons out, so an easy choice there.

I'll update later today after we have gotten the bad fuel out, and the good in.......always be sure to read what the pump says....don't go by the color of the nozzle. Part of my problem was I was expecting them to have diesel based on Gas Buddy, so didn't pay attention.....big mistake.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

I did the exact thing with our old gas motorhome Clarke. In the middle of the night, half asleep, filled the gas tank with diesel. Got about 1 block. Unfortunately it was in Ca. and the EPA got involved. Can't recall how much it ended up costing but it was enough to buy a T-Bird.(well, maybe not quite that much) Hope it all works out for you and hasn't done any permanent damage.

94 Newell #365, 2009 Smart, 2005 500SL, 2012 ML350, 1934 Ford Streetrod Golf Cart, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc. Car and Boat CrazyTongue

My heart goes out to you Clarke! I read somewhere about someone fueling a diesel boat with gas and having it explode. Glad that didnt happen to you! Good luck on the rest of the adventure!

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Clarke,

Don't feel bad, this happens a lot. I own a convenience store (we do not sell diesel) and an Allegro diesel pulled up to the gas pump and started filling up with REG unleaded gasoline!Huh

I happened to be walking by and I started talking to the owner of the RV. I asked him what kind of mileage he got with his rig and what engine did it have.... when he told me a diesel I told him to stop pumping. Our gas pump had a blue rubber cover on the nozzle; he just was not paying attention.

A few hours later all the gas was drained from his diesel tank and re-filled with 20 gallons of diesel and away he went.

It happens!

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

(02-28-2013, 06:11 AM)whatsnewell Wrote:  Yesterday after we left Stuart, FL we stopped at the Flying J at exit 131 off I-95 to get propane and a $100 of diesel....it was $4.29/ gallon there so we wanted enough to get our tank above 1/4 and then head up to Melbourne where we were going to spend the night and Gas Buddy showed a good diesel price at $3.95/ gallon.....not bad right now.

We arrived in Melbourne around 12:30 and headed to the station shown on Gas Buddy. We spied the green handled pumps and pulled in. Right away I noticed the price on the green handled pump was 4.09....much higher than the reported price, so I decided just to get $200 worth, which would put us up over 1/2 tank and then look for a better price on our way up to St. Augustine.

We finished fueling and headed back down the street to the Lowe's to park for the day. We planned to have lunch with friends, and spend the afternoon with them.

About a mile down at a stop light the engine stopped. I've never had that happen before. It did restart, so we continued down the road. About a mile later at a stop light it stopped again.....hmmmmm....did I get bad diesel?

As we were pulling into the Lowe's parking lot the engine died again, this time for good. Fortunately it was a slight down hill and we were able to coast to a stop in a decent parking position.

The engine would turn over, but not fire. I got on the phone with Good Sam and talked with a representative who said he would find a mobile mechanic in the area who could come out.....at this point I was thinking bad fuel....maybe clogged fuel filters.

I then contacted our friends to tell them we would be available for lunch.....Chris suggested they come over, bring some diesel so we could change out the filters (I have two extra sets) and see if that was the problem. So they came, and we changed the filters, primed the news ones and screwed them back in place. The DD fired right up and ran for about 5 minutes, then shut down again sputtering.

At this point Chris suggested I call the gas station and find out when they last filled their diesel tank, and had anyone else complained. I called and explained to the young lady what had happened after I bought diesel at their station......she replied "Sir, we don't sell diesel here"

I was stunned...I had just been there and used the green handled nozzle....she again emphatically said they did not sell diesel at that station......all of a sudden the realization hit both Chris and I.....I had put in 50 gallons of their mid range unleaded gas.....they apparently use green nozzles for that grade......doh!

Shortly thereafter the mobile mechanic arrived. I told him what the problem was. We needed to get the bad fuel out, and he was not equipped for something like that....there is 100 gallons to remove. Chris suggested (seeing a trend here?) I call a local marina to get a referral for a mobile marine mechanic....he felt they must have to do this kind of thing a lot with boats sitting for a long time and the fuel goes bad, or something. So I did that and got a referral to a guy who referred me another guy who has a waste oil truck which can pump out the fuel and dispose of it. I could have gotten the fuel out, but what am I going to do with twenty 5 gallon cans of bad fuel?

So, he will be here this morning at 9 am to pump out the bad fuel, then we will put about 30 gallons of good fuel in so we can drive to a station that actually sells diesel and fill up......a $400 lesson (just for the fuel....the pump out will cost $150....drive time, plus labor, plus disposal of the bad fuel).

I also talked to my mechanic at Choo Choo Express Garage and Don told me I shouldn't have any damage with only a few miles driven. I felt if I could get out half, 50 gallons, I could add 3 quarts of ATF, or 3 quarts of 30 weight oil to neutralize or 50 gallons out, so an easy choice there.

I'll update later today after we have gotten the bad fuel out, and the good in.......always be sure to read what the pump says....don't go by the color of the nozzle. Part of my problem was I was expecting them to have diesel based on Gas Buddy, so didn't pay attention.....big mistake.

[/size]You saved .20 a gallon!!!SadS

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

several years ago darlene was out in my truck (lifted f350 powerstroke i bought new) and called me and said it wasnt running very good. she had just put fuel in it and had gotten a mile or two and it was bucking like a bronco. she was close to home and just made it there. when she got home she told be she was pretty sure she accidently put unleaded in rather than diesel. you have to realize that my kids are not sure if they are in my will or my truck is. it has been my baby for many years. when darlene got home she tried to explain what had happened and i told her that this was one time she should just go in the house and leave me alone.

a friend of mine who is a petroleum engineer came over with his test kit and we drained 25-30 gallons of fuel out (i have a bunch of plastic red gas cans now) and changed the fuel filter, put some diesel in it and pumped fuel through it till his viscosity checker (or whatever it was called) said it was ok. as all know, then old timers always add ATF to it, and most put it in the fuel filters when they prime them.

got her going and then all was well. then it was ok for darlene to come out of the house.....

hey we have been married for almost 32 years, i still have my truck, my wife and my kids are still not sure if they or my truck are in the will.

the one thing about the 45' newells is they wont fit in the kind of gas station that clarkes will so it is much harder for this to happen to us.

so clarke, you are in good company.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

The guy arrived this morning at 9 am, right on time. He had three 50 gallon drums with him and proceeded to pump my tank dry. It took about 30 minutes in all. Two things I know for sure now....I don't have any fungus in my tank, and if there was any water, it is gone now!

Poured in 27 gallons of good diesel, and then re-primed the filters, then turned her over......she just purred, and purred. Then drove over to Race Trac to complete the fueling. Added a quart of ATF, and some Howe's for good measure. She ran strong all the way up to St. Augustine, FL where we are tonight.

In talking with the pump out guy, he says this happens all the time with boats. One of my blog readers said this happened to him on his boat....the attendant put in gas, instead of diesel.....the EPA got involved, and it cost him $2,500 to drain the bad fuel out....bummer!

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB

Clarke I hate to keep bringing this up but seriously this time it's just to show you this can happen to anyone. Even the most powerful man in the world.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/03/2...uel-mixup/

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Hee , Hee ,Good one , Todd B-)

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Todd.....thank you very much.....I guess you can just never outlive some mistakes......Big Grin

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB