You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Walker AIRSEP Instalation

Good morning.

Yesterday I finished the installation of a WALKER AIRSEP (KWOTR-10R) for 744’s Cat C13 ACERT. 
Not a complicated installation, I had to fabricate a bracket for mounting it in the right side engine compartment. I purchased it last year when I noticed a small pool of oil underneath the engine. Under further investigation I found the “slobber tube” was only partially responsible, a good majority of the oil was from a leaking seal which was resolved. Non the less the AIRSEP will be a good Addition to the Cat. 

walkerairsep.com 

Here’s a blurb from Walkers website:

The Airsep® Air/Oil Separator eliminates crankcase emissions by actually closing the crankcase on your diesel engine. The Airsep® is the only current system with a patented design that uses induction air to coalesce the hot oil vapor into liquid. 

The Airsep® reduces crankcase pressure, causing the engine to operate in a vacuum. The direct benefits include reduction or elimination of most seal leaks, less lube oil being forced by the rings into the cylinders, and reduction of oil being vented through the crankcase breathers.

When the Airsep® removes the lube oil from the blowby gases, the remaining water vapor and raw diesel fuel is re-inducted into the air intake system. On turbocharged and aftercooler engines, this helps prevent the build-up of grit on the turbocharger blades, or the accumulation of oil residue in the aftercooler. Finally, the inducted water vapor reduces the temperature of combustion, which results in increased engine efficiency.

Note: The AIRSEP oil drain needs a avenue back to the engine case. I was able to locate and remove a case plug for this purpose. 
I mounted the bracket I built to the coach frame but failed to verify it was square with the coach in travel mode. I had to modify the base of the bracket to level out the unit. Someday I might build another bracket that doesn’t require the shim to level things out... someday... 

My dad always had a Walker Air Oil Separator on his airplanes. I know they worked because I was responsible for keeping the belly clean. The AIRSEP has benefits beyond containing oil and such but I’m looking forward to a cleaning up the engine compartment and finding other things that leak!

My 2020 Pandemic mods include the Big Boss Tuner and Walker AIRSEP. I’ll keep you posted on my findings when we head out to the Rockies this year.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.

Interesting. Race engines quite often run a vacuum on the crankcase to make more HP at high RPM. It will be curious to see if the practice results in more MPG or ooomph when you drive the coach.

Nice welding on the bracket! Your work is always primo.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thank you Richard, I’m a shade tree welder but keep trying to improve and your compliments mean a lot to me.

I considered the Cat 13 a noisy engine in the top end but when I fired it up this morning to check my work I swear it sounds different. Less mechanical noise from the engine compartment not muffler if that makes any sense. It just seems smoother at idle and 1100RPM.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.

It makes sense. Sound waves do not travel in a vacuum. Even a partial vacuum would reduce the sound wave propagation

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

"race engines quite often run a vacuum on the crankcase to make more HP at high RPM."

High end racers often use a dry sump lube system that use a scavenging pump to remove oil from the crankcase. The scavenging pump also pumps air out of the crankcase creating a partial vacuum.

Tim

I wonder what it would do for an 8V92?