You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Override switch

I have been unable to figure out what the override switch on the dash by the steering wheel is for.  Anyone know and want to tell me.  

I have a 1985 Newell so I do not have an electronic display as I have read others talk About their override switch for seeing codes.    

Mark and Melanie
1985 Newell 40’
#75 ? (still not confirmed)
First motor coach

Have no idea....but....that will not deter me from making a guess.

Is the engine electronically controlled? If so...when it is not happy it may go into a run safe mode (limited to slow speed creeping). The override may defeat the run-safe mode.

That’s my guess and I’m sticking to it.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I’ll side with Bill and bet you possibly have an early DDEC engine.   If not, it is still an override which enables you to bypass safeties in an emergency.

My 2 cents worth!

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

You likely have the mechanical (non-DDEC) 8V92 but I also suspect that it will allow you to restart an engine to get it off the road. Likely bypassing things like the oil pressure sensor, temperature sensor, etc. Use very judiciously.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael Days description is what my 78 Newell had. It works like a Murphy gauge.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Thanks for all the replies, hopefully this is a switch I will never have to use.

Mark and Melanie
1985 Newell 40’
#75 ? (still not confirmed)
First motor coach

Your engine likely has the same set up as our '86 , a system that will shut the engine down if it overheats . As Michael posted , the override switch is there to allow the driver to re start in order to get off the road . I will post a picture of the page in the manual that covers the operation of the safety system . Best to keep a weather eye on the temp gauge , take evasive action if it starts climbing rapidly .
I'll try to get more info posted , pics of pages that cover the heating issue from the manual .
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

The override switch on my 2007 (just a few years newer so probably not the same function) is for being able to put the Newell in gear and moving it with the slides out or if it thinks they are out. So if your sensor switch fails and the coach thinks your slides are out you can flip the override switch and get into gear and get home or go to get the faulty switch fixed. I have seen a fellow with all his slides out use the switch to change sites at a resort for he was too lazy to bring the slides in and then move.

Oscar & Janet Valent
Full timing
2004 Foretravel U320 3820 PBBS
2007 Newell Coach #815 - Great Coach Sold
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit