You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Valid Slide Air System Leaking

Figured I would share my experiences as a new coach owner.  I purchased the coach about 4 weeks ago and had our maiden voyage on Labor Day week.  Like any custom coach all the fun is figuring out what you don’t know and working your way thru the “user errors” to figure out what really needs looking at - we had a full week of that.

Coach 1511 spent last week in Miami Ok getting a once over by the team there and an updated annual/new owner service.  The folks at Newell are so amazing and accommodating - its a really nice buying a product that the company stands by.  Of course the team at Newell finished my 52 item punch list and I was figuring I may have the coach “zeroed out”.  Well not so fast - LOL.

The coach got back to NY yesterday (where I live - as I sent it to Ok with a driver).  As luck would have it, I was doing my walk around inspection and when I went into the utility bay I could hear an air leak in the Valid slide control manifold.  Fortunately (and some coincidence), I had just watched the 12 part series on Newell Coach air systems basics and tools that was recorded at the Newell Guru gathering.  The picture below of the manifold is where my leaks are - all four of the press fittings are leaking (enough to be audible and used soapy water to confirm).

The fix (thanks Richard) is replacing the leaking press fittings with straight DOT compression fittings at the manifold (1/4 pipe by 1/4 NPT) and probably replacing the lines because Newell cut them so short there is no slack for the fix.  Probably also replace the elbow fittings on the other side (with DOT compression fittings).  Looking forward to getting under the coach and finding the other connection points on the air lines and slowly replacing them with compression fittings.  I also got a list of items from Richard to purchase (I went to McMaster on-line) to keep in the coach for both long term and quick fixes to get me rolling.

Here is the list from Richard - 

“So your shopping list should include
1/4 tubing by 1/4 NPT    These are the most common on my coach
1/4 tubing and 1/4 NPT elbow.  Second most common
3/8 tubing by 1/4 NPT
3/8 tubing by 1/4 NPT elbow
Get a roll of 1/4 DOT tubing
Get a roll of 3/8 DOTtubing but will never use it all. 

Now here is the get you out of trouble stuff.

Get some 1/4 by 1/4 tubing connectors for splicing a line with a hole in it
Get some 3/8 by 3/8 connectors also

And finally the really handy in stuck on the side of the road situation.
Get the same connectors as above but in PUSH ON
And finally get a few plugs of 1/4 and 3/8, they will be at the bottom of the page for push to connect fittings. The neat trick is to use a push on connector and a plug to quickly cap a line. Sometimes you just need to stop the air leak to get going. The quick way is pull the air line out of the existing fitting, put a push on straight connector on it, and then use the plug on the other end of the connector. It will save your bacon.”

Here is the picture - forgot to add the attachment

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian & Andrea Wasserman
2015 Newell 2020P
Coach #1511 - “God Speed”
2020 Jeep Wranger Toad

One more thing, I saw that teflon tape was used to seal the NPT side of the fittings in the picture. In my opinion, teflon tape is not to be used in our air systems because it shreds tiny pieces and clogs orifices and spool valves. I use pipe dope, Rectorseal to be specific. But that is my opinion.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard, I saw your reply to Brian regarding the fittings. Looking at the McMaster online catalog I wasn't certain which of the 1/4 and 3/8 NPT fitting were being referred to. McMaster lists "Screw-On Hose Fittings for Air and Water" are those the ones?
We just purchased a 2007 Newell and as we were making the purchase they were repairing an air leak under the drivers seat. The coach didn't come with any repair or replacement items on board so I'm gathering supplies for the future.
Including belts and filters, my tool box, and a rabbit's foot. We're headed to Newell for a factory service early October
Bob

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer" 

you are going to look under DOT brake fittings.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

What Tom said!

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I've just ordered some fittings from McMaster in all three DOT compression fitting sizes as well as some 1/4 and 2/8 OD Durometer 65D hose.

And I've been, like Brian, going thru the informative YouTube videos on the air systems. Since I haven't even driven the coach yet other than a test drive there's a lot to learn and try to retain along with hoping that things will go reasonably well for at least a little while.

Richard and Tom, Thank you both!

Sandy and Bob McBratney

For those interested - here is my McMaster invoice for purchase of air fittings and supplies -

51835K232
D.O.T. Brass Compression Tube Fitting for Air, Straight Adapter, for 1/4" Tube OD x 1/4 NPTF Male

51835K252
D.O.T. Brass Compression Tube Fitting for Air, 90 Degree Elbow, for 1/4" Tube OD x 1/4 NPTF Male

51835K235
D.O.T. Brass Compression Tube Fitting for Air, Straight Adapter, for 3/8" Tube OD x 1/4 NPTF Male

51835K254
D.O.T. Brass Compression Tube Fitting for Air, 90 Degree Elbow, for 3/8" Tube OD x 1/4 NPTF Male

51835K201
D.O.T. Brass Compression Tube Fitting for Air, Straight Connector, for 1/4" Tube OD

51835K202
D.O.T. Brass Compression Tube Fitting for Air, Straight Connector, for 3/8" Tube OD

5148K124
High-Pressure D.O.T. Push-to-Connect Fitting, Straight Adapter, for 1/4" Tube OD x 1/4 NPT Male

5148K125
High-Pressure D.O.T. Push-to-Connect Fitting, Straight Adapter, for 3/8" Tube OD x 1/4 NPT Male

5148K144
High-Pressure D.O.T. Push-to-Connect Fitting, 90 Degree Swivel Elbow, for 1/4" Tube OD x 1/4 NPT Male

5148K145
High-Pressure D.O.T. Push-to-Connect Fitting, 90 Degree Swivel Elbow, for 3/8" Tube OD x 1/4 NPT Male

5148K183
High-Pressure D.O.T. Push-to-Connect Fitting, Straight Connector, for 1/4" Tube OD

5148K184
High-Pressure D.O.T. Push-to-Connect Fitting, Straight Connector, for 3/8" Tube OD

51915K37
Low-Temperature D.O.T. Push-to-Connect Fitting for Air, Plug, 1/4" Stem OD

51915K38
Low-Temperature D.O.T. Push-to-Connect Fitting for Air, Plug, 3/8" Stem OD

5097T61
D. O. T. Hard Nylon Plastic Tubing for Air Yarn Reinforced, Opaque Black, 1/4" ID, 3/8" OD, 25 ft. Length

5097T71
D. O. T. Hard Nylon Plastic Tubing for Air Yarn Reinforced, Opaque Black, 3/8" ID, 1/2" OD, 25 ft. Length

Brian & Andrea Wasserman
2015 Newell 2020P
2020 Jeep Wranger Toad

Brian,
Thanks for posting the invoice. Having specific part numbers facilitates the process.
Bob

Sandy and Bob McBratney

Thanks for posting those numbers, I do have some of these on hand but Im sure not nearly enough

home: Southern California
05 #746 quad slide 2000i, 
Steerable tag 
Detroit Diesel series 60 515 hp
Allison trans

Toad 2013 Avalanche Black Diamond edition 4 wheel drive

New update and looking for Guru advice.  I replaced the leaking push fittings with compression fittings and removed the pressure gauges to clean the nylon thread sealant.  No more leaks in that area of the valid slide system.  The compressor is breathing easier now.

Here is my question -

I replaced the 1/4” push fittings and lines that run from the manifest to the slide valves with 3/8” compression fittings and lines.  Is there any reason why they used 1/4” lines in manufacture (besides cost savings and space savings within the area)?

Will I create some sort of problem down the road using the larger 3/8” air line.

BTW - the air line going into the manifest was 3/8” already - its was the lines from the manifest to the valves that went down to 1/4”.

Thanks - so much fun owning a space ship.  Now I know why they were always stuck on some planet working on the Millennium Falcon.

Brian & Andrea Wasserman
2015 Newell 2020P
2020 Jeep Wranger Toad