You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

81 classic for sale
Video 

Unfortunately I'm selling my '81 classic.  I've come to the realization that I cannot take care of 2 Newells at the same time.  
Length: 36'
Engine: Cummins VT903
Trans: MT 643 5 speed Allison
224 gallon main diesel tank and 56 gallon aux. tank
116 gallon water tank and 119 holding tank
49 gallon propane tank

Changes/modifications that I have made:
2014: Replaced all interior mirrors and replaced all light bulbs with LED
7/2014:  Added fire suppression systems for main engine and generator
9/2014:  Replaced shifter cable (Stewart and Stevenson)
2014: Installed camera system (driver and passenger side view and backup cameras)
11/2014:  Replaced curtains with blinds (motorized in bedroom)
12/2014:  Painted mid section of coach (Iron Horse RV) (Sherwin-Williams paint with several clear coats)
                   Replaced water heater (Suburban 6gal propane/electric)
                   Replaced broken windows, tinted all windows
11/2015:  Replaced driver and passenger chairs (Flexsteel Deluxe Pillowtop with motorized footrest on         passenger chair)
4/2016:  Replaced all air bags and shocks (Koni adjustable)
4/2016:  Replaced genset (Engine Power Source 12KW – Kubota 4 cylinder 1.5 liter diesel), with a    dedicated starting battery – does not use house         batteries.  Genset has about 500 hrs on it.  The original hr meter stopped working at about 350 hrs and I replaced it.
              Replaced slack adjusters, brake chambers and hoses (Krause Bus Sales)
5/2016:  New tires all around
9/2016: Replaced majority of dash wiring with soldered connectors and added fuse to protect dash circuit.
10/2016:  Replaced oven (Dometic CU-434 stainless steel 3 burner cooktop/oven)
10/2016:  Replaced electric heaters (Cadet) and added Olympian Wave 8 catalytic heater to living area.
11/2016:  Replaced middle propane furnace (Suburban NT16)
11/2016:  Replaced bath and shower fans
12/2016:  Replaced headlights with halogens
2/2017:  Checked/adjusted valves (Cummins)
10/2017:  Replaced refrigerator with 12V/120V Novacool RFU9000: 9.5 cu ft only uses 5.2amps when   sealed Danforth compressor is running.  Added dedicated circuit directly from house batteries.
1/2018:  Replaced fan and alternator belts (Cummins)
2/2018:  Replaced house batteries with Lifeline AGMs
3/2018:  Replaced kitchen sink and faucet
3/2018:  Installed Magnum Inverter/Converter and replaced all house battery cables (Inverter not hooked up to 120V yet, used only as a converter at this time)
6/2018:  Replaced windshields
7/2018: Replaced toilet with Dometic 320
8/2018:  Replaced starter and solenoid
7/2019:  Replaced front AC unit with Coleman Mach 15
4/2020:  Replaced dash water temp gauge
6/2020: Replaced starting batteries
9/2020: Refurbished pass through bay

This has been a labor of love.  The wet bay still needs a little more love.  But this coach is ready to be lived and traveled in!  
She's been to the Indy 500 a couple times and we've taken her on many TX state park adventures.  We drive her on a regular basis and run the generator at least once per month and usually weekly.
We live around Floresville, TX.
Price - $28,000
See My Gallery for more photos.

Hi Dave and Tish,
my name is Kai Georg... I am a German collector for vintage greyhounds, airstream and newell coaches.
Your 1981 Newell looks amazing and I love the way you took care of this unit!
Would be very interested in your coach....please take a look on my website www.kaigeorg.com to see that it will come to a good home.
I would like to talk to you on the phone....can I call you...or if you prefer to call me +49 171 4431155 (we are plus 6h)
best regards from germany
Kai

Dave and Tish
All I can say is WOW on a job well done - I have a 75 coach I've been restoring for a few years now - yours has set the bar quite a bit higher then I've seen recently. Again very well done!!. I think your price is very reasonable considering what you've done and it's condition. Good luck on your sale. It looks like someone is going to get a nice unit.
I'll posted the RV-Trader link is others haven't seen it.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/1981-Ne...5014201307

John

John and Marcia Marshall 
1975 Newell 30ft - 9.0 IHC
1986 Navstar 9.0 Diesel 160hp
98 Mustang GT
getting closer
ASE Master & Computer Admin
Love old tech  Idea

I appreciate that John.  I've put a lot of $/time in it and there's still some work to be done.  She's not perfect, but what can you expect from a 40 year old vehicle/house?!

Also looking at the differences and the things that remain the same is interesting. Mine is one of the shortest I've seen coming in a little over 30 feet. Your's has a much better use of bay space and actually has available storage underneath which is awesome. This probably also has air bags on the 4 corners where mine only has them on the back axle with springs in the front. I'm in awe of what the Newell teams have done from the early day's up through the 90's and 2000's. I'm sure the newest examples as so far above anything I could even imagine. 

I've watched some of the posts of the mid 80's to the 90's units and some of the early to mid 2000 unit's and am in awe of all the improvements and engineering.

Even though I'm in awe of anything newer then mine, I'm very happy with what I have and look forward to getting it at least road worthy. Mine will never look as nice as yours and most I've seen on the forum. I'm not skilled enough to get it to that level. I'm just working to make it the best unit that my wife and I can afford.
It's been a fun road so far. 
Sorry you are having to sell this coach. Although I can't imagine taking on the work of two. I know others on the forum have done and do that. It's not something I would try to take on though.

Good luck.

John and Marcia Marshall 
1975 Newell 30ft - 9.0 IHC
1986 Navstar 9.0 Diesel 160hp
98 Mustang GT
getting closer
ASE Master & Computer Admin
Love old tech  Idea

Sold.  Bittersweet.  I resisted the urge to cry like a baby as "our" '81 drove off without us.  Maybe we can get visitation rights since the new owners live right up the road in Austin!