You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Ace Truck Service, Inc. In Galup, New Mexico

Our driver side tag axle had sheared off studs due to horrid road conditions on I93 in AZ heading from Las Vegas, down to I 40 (which is only marginally better, AZ roads are the worst in the nation). After searching for days trying to find a shop that could help, we found this shop, limped over here and they got us in first thing in the morning. I can't recommend this shop enough. 

The mechanics here are knowledgeable and highly skilled. They don't waste time, or give you the run around. They are up front with their prices and give you an estimate before starting the job so you know what you are in for. If you are in Flagstaff, and can limp over to Galup, NM., do so. It will save you thousands, and the work will be done correctly and honestly.

The only con I can think of isn't their fault, but their vendors have issues getting parts shipped directly, so if they need to order parts it might delay you a couple of days, but this isn't in any way the fault of the shop.

It is obvious from their work ethic that their main concern is getting you on the road as quickly and safely as possible. They are Detroit Diesel and CAT certified. Their hourly rate is 144/hr. Everywhere we contacted in Flagstaff was 195/hr. And we left several places there because their mechanics were just standing around talking and smoking, but not working. 

We are looking at an $1800 estimate for a new rim, 10 new lugs, 10 new studs, tire mount and balance. (We have since ordered the 1" Impact, and torque wrench so we can self rescue in the future.)

- Marcus G-R

8V92TA 43.5' 1991 Newell # 258 
Toad 2009 CTS or 2010 Subaru Forester XT on a BigTex open trailer.  

Always great to find good people. On the impact and torque wrench I have found the Milwaukee 3/4" does a great job and I pair that with a torque stick. Converted my other onboard tools to the Milwaukee and it makes for carrying way less stuff and in a pinch I can pull the wheels off.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

This comment is a generalization based upon my own experience. Your mileage may vary. If you are going to use any of the portable impact guns for removing your lug nuts, I highly suggest in the comfort and time of your own work space that you loosen them, and torque them to 450. I suggest that in lieu of finding out that some gorilla with a 1 inch impact running off 150psi air has hammered them on. If the lugs have been tightened like that, the electric impact may not take them off. However, if they have been torqued properly your chances of success are much higher.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(06-03-2023, 04:36 AM)Richard Wrote:  This comment is a generalization based upon my own experience. Your mileage may vary. If you are going to use any of the portable impact guns for removing your lug nuts, I highly suggest in the comfort and time of your own work space that you loosen them, and torque them to 450. I suggest that in lieu of finding out that some gorilla with a 1 inch impact running off 150psi air has hammered them on. If the lugs have been tightened like that, the electric impact may not take them off. However, if they have been torqued properly your chances of success are much higher.

We got a pneumatic impact, with 3k/lbs reverse torque, and it has 3 torque settings. We also got the 100-600 lbs torque wrench to be able to set correct torque of 450-475. I'm going to reset all of my lugs once we get home, because the shop that installed the tag wheel 3 years ago, also installed all the other wheels when I replaced all the tires.  Thank you for your advice.

- Marcus G-R

8V92TA 43.5' 1991 Newell # 258 
Toad 2009 CTS or 2010 Subaru Forester XT on a BigTex open trailer.