You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Brake Job All Wheels 99 Newell

Look at the slack adjuster. On top will be a square post, about 1/4” if IIRC. On the side will be a little pin that you have to pull out to back the slack adjuster off. Otherwise it will only turn one way.

I use a pick with hook end to slip under the release pin, so I have both hands free.

If you have the Meritor pads, they will seem impossible to install. It will appear the ears are just too wide to slip into the caliper. That’s when the A Ha hit me. A close exam of the ears on the pad showed them to be tapered, and the caliper is tapered in the area where the ears ride. Start with the thick one, push it down into the caliper where the cutout well is located. While holding it down into the caliper, slide it sideways. The purpose of that taper is to keep the pad in place. The non OEM pads I bought were lacking that slight detail.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thank you for the millionth time.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

I second Jack's gratitude and feel compelled to raise,

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is

Nice write up. Glad you caught the rotors on the front. I did just redue all of mine due to this same issue .  Beware that bottom 30mm calper mounting bolt can be a pain in the a__ to get off, you got to either have a skinner socket or do alittle grinding. Just a fyi

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides
Detroit Diesel  series 60   turned up to 745 hp  

Laughing, cause I put the impact hex on the grinder to make it skinnier for the clearance.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

By the way these are the easiest brakes I have ever replaced. Ingenious engineering.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

The fronts, the Knorr Bremse/ Bendix Sn7 are even easier. You don’t have to swing the caliper away from the disc.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Thank you for this write up and all your invaluable information Richard!!! The mechanic here said he knew how to remove the brake pads without removing the calipers… I hope he is correct and knows what he is doing… when we return from our trip I will be pulling this all apart (after buying the tools to remove the wheels) and doing the bearings and other items Richard listed.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Richard, an excellent Post and very informative. I’m taking notes and making a notebook with various parts numbers because I believe my drive and tag are very similar to yours if not the same. I really lucked out an old contact from high school with a 30 year heavy equipment mechanic and has shop at his house. He can fit quad axles in for service said he’s willing to work on mine in the spring,as he’s filled up  on side winter jobs ,getting quad axles and other heavy  equipment ready for spring work

Willie and Rachel Moore                                         
Neenah,Wisconsin 
1997 45’ #465 DD60                                          
2020 Coachmen 210QB
2010 26’ Conquest tt
38’ Wellcraft Scarab Thunder twin 500 
1988 Donzi 29Z t 454 mag