You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Think I need a tow

We are having a problem with the left front side raising into travel mode and need to get it to a local HWH service center.
1. Has anyone out there had there Newell towed?
      - what are the down sides?
We have roadside assistance with towing but I'm concerned.

2. Another possible option but I don't know if it will work. In travel mode, I can turn on level an raise the left front. 
       - Is it possible that I could drive. It's about 20 miles to the service center?

3. There are 2 HWH Service centers about the same distance from me. One is a Cummings repair center. The other is an RV Service center. The RV Service center is listed on the HWH website as a Master service center.
      - any advice?I
Thanks all

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
2023 Ford Broncos Bad lands Toad
Columbia, SC

I have had my coach towed twice. Had a wheel lift wrecker both times. Just make sure they disconnect the drive line. Be aware that if you drive it with the left front down, that corner will have a tendency to to bottom out and drag on the ground as the wheel goes through any pot hole or depression in the road surface. Body damage in excess of the tow charge is possible.

If it stays up after you raise
I think you can drive to the shop

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

Tony,

I had a terrible experience getting towed...so I will do practically anything to avoid that.

Start with troubleshooting the bag / leveling system.

I am not positive about your vintage...but in most of the coaches the travel mode only uses the rear bags to adjust the side to side leveling.

There is a single height control valve in the front and that is used for the back to front leveling.

So...if you can raise the left front in level mode...the airbag is probably good. If the back is level in travel mode (assuming level ground) then I would be looking at the front six pack. Maybe by exercising the six pack, you might be able to clear the problem.

I would really try to understand the problem before towing it.

For what its worth.

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I have never had my Newell towed. I would pay for mobile service if I had to for a problem like this.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

If you do get towed use a ‘lowboy’ style that will hold the entire coach all wheels on the trailer. Not a Landoll or wrecker with any type of stinger attachment.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Having your coach towed is nothing like towing your car. Also, it is your pride & joy, whereas most of what the tow service moves is just commercial equipment. Before I got my Newell, I was messing with old buses and had almost a dozen tows - all on Landol trailers.

A Landol is definitely the best way to to go to reduce the risk of damage.

All that said, I would exhaust every other opportunity before I would consider towing my Newell !!!

If it were me (and I couldn't fix it myself) - I would go to the "master service center" and see if you could get one of their master techs to come to your coach to diagnose the problem - After the diagnosis, then you can make a better informed decision as to having it towed.

Good luck!

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

Quick update. No tow necessary. After much sage advice from a lot of sources (gurus, Newell and HWH) we brought it into travel mode. Once eveverything, except the left front was where it was supposed to be, we put it in level mode and brought the left front up, pulled all of the HWH fuses and drove to the service center. Made it safe and sound.
Cindy followed me and kept checking on the left front and letting me know everything was in the right place.
Thanks to all

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
2023 Ford Broncos Bad lands Toad
Columbia, SC

Thx for the update!!!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.