You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

DD S60 Stalled, Crank no Start no Check Engine Light

Had the coach running at high idle the engine spit sputtered and stalled, fortunately at home!   Tried to start engine again with no luck.  BTW no check engine light came on during this event.  Suspected fuel related issue as the filter was almost full....changed filters found a little water perhaps a table spoon's worth.  Tried cranking again with no luck, fiddle around checking breakers and connections finding nothing to speak of (Breakers had not tripped) i.e. no white ring exposed.  Tried to start again and managed to get it running for a few minutes then it stalled again.  Put a fuel pressure gauge on the pump finding zero pressure during the crank phase. 

Pulled fuel pump to check "Star" coupling from the compressor to fuel pump drive....that was good to go.  Left it off in case I am going to replace the pump.

Next in line was the fuel return check valve on bell housing end of the engine head. If this is stuck open fuel pressure will not build up.  No way to even see this area much less get to it....EXCEPT Newell engineers removed the DD Check valve from the head and put on the return line near the tank.....easy peezy. Took the check valve to Detroit Service Center in Ocala to pick up a new one.  Spoke with the tech in the shop as to possible causes of my problem.  He gave a list of things that it could be in the order of expense the least to most expensive.  He checked the valve stating that it was good.  So next would be the SRS sensor of which there are three different P/Ns so back home to remove it and get the correct part number.  By now you can probably tell I am ready to through parts at it to get it fixed.  Can you say how glad I am the coach is at home!!

Put everything back together to verify "Crank no Start no Check Engine Light".  Tried to start several times with no luck....same condition.  One more time I checked the DEEC circuit breakers...this is one of the culprits the Detroit technician mentioned.  This time I physically put my fingers on each breaker and pulled....one of them had a gritty sound as it moved to the tripped position with hardly any effort.  The other was rock solid and could not be pulled.  I reset the pulled breaker and tried to pull it back out it would not pull back out....Ahha!  Needless to say I have two breakers coming and will change them out!

Cranked the engine for perhaps 10 sec and it fired right up!!  I had left the fuel pressure gauge connected to the high side of the fuel pump which showed 15 to 20 lbs of pressure.  I think I am going to leave it installed as it is real handy TS tool.

I shudder to think, if on the side of the road, things would have been a lot different not to mention the cost to get going again.  The one breaker evidently was tripped internally and due to the girt the white band stayed hidden.  I think, as a preemptive, these breakers would need changing due to the "gotcha factor" involved if they are any where near the originals.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Good call to warn to change the breakers preemptively. Do you have a model number? And maybe post a pic of their location ?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Mind you, this is for the Detroit S60 DDEC...the original circuit breaker p/n was 45-700-IG1-S10-DD,  15AMP.  This p/n is no longer valid unless you Ebay them.  I ordered another p/n with the same specs will let you know how they work out.  Learned something, these breakers are like a click type ball-point pen i.e. push once to reset twice to trip.  When I pulled on mine apparently the breaker had tripped and the grit kept it from showing the white band.  Pushing in on the tripped breaker reset it with no problems.  With this happening I don't trust them to stay in the system.

They are located in the passenger side engine bay electrical compartment.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve & Doris Denton
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Update: Ordered this part number 2-5700-IG1-K10-DD-15A
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DEC...UTF8&psc=1. There are several type breaker part numbers available in this family of breakers.  Apparently, the differences are applicable to the electrical connector......the one I ordered has screw type terminals that fit our situation. 

To reiterate my concern, the engine is dead in the water until resolved.  I can easily see that troubleshooting on the side of the road, under duress one could miss the flaky way this breaker tripped with no visible indication untill pulling on the breaker.  Sand that had built up inside the breaker end is what caused the plunger not protruding enough to see the witness ring.

As a side note, I did reset the original breakers and kept them installed until we just got back from a 2,000 mile trip .  Had no issues during the trip.

Steve & Doris Denton
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

thanks for the link, two on the way, cheap insurance

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Me too!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

The same thing happened to me on the return trip when i bought my coach. I was just trying different things and when i tried to reset the breaker it felt crunchy  like you described . I installed (2) 20 amps fuses in place of the breakers since i was on the side of the road. That was probably 4 years ago and it's still running great.

Paul and Sherry Schneider
1994 newell coach 366, 38 ft with a 8v92 ddec 2

The same or similar breakers are on my 8v-92 with DDEC. I had to “hot wire” one a few years ago. I carry a spare now. Thx for the write up on the trouble shoot!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.