You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Poll: slide seal day - You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
yes i would like to attend
0%
0%
no, i would like to but can't
100.00%
100.00%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

hwh slide seal day in wittmann

Thank you for posting all the photos. They were very interesting.

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer" 

day 4

i have to say that doing the slide seal on my 02 was a one day job for the most part.  

what caused tonys to be so hard was the crushed seal track.  

we got the seal entirely reinstalled today.  since it wasnt glued in the last time he had it done, we reglued it.    the one slide picture is where we had the most problems getting the seal in the track. anywhere there was almost no accessiblility. doing the seal inside on the sidewalls was easy comparatively.

it was so incredibly hard to get this seal back in.  but at dinner time we got it in.  we called it a day and darlene made 2 inch thick pork chops for tony, judy and i.  

monday tony will come back out and we will figure out how to get the slide back in and all put back together.  

i had the drone out and took a few pictures from the lazy boy i was navigating from in front of the shop.  

tony is a hard worker and things took way longer than we expected, but it will turn out nicely.

i dont think he is going to take my offer of 30k now.  ha

life is good

tom and tony

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom and Darlene are the greatest. Their hospitality is beyond my wildest dreams. Tom is fun to work with and I learned a lot, including patience and perseverance. I look forward to the time that I pass this on to another Guru!

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Tow 2017 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)

Thanks for all the updates, very interesting and I really enjoyed learning just a little more!
Thanks again!

Dale & Shari Nelson
2001 Newell 45' #599 Triple Slide

we will be putting the slide back in and together and putting the vacuum pump on the slide seal. we can use help pushing the slide back in on monday morning starting about 930am if anyone is in the area. seems like everyone local is busy or gone, but thought i would reach out one more time.

thanks

tom

I wish I were there!!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

day 5

we took the weekend off.  i also have to admit i didnt take enough pictures for a primer on how to do this.  refer to my other post on doing my slide seal on my coach.

this was a ton more work and problems than doing mine.  i had about 10 people total trying to push the slide back in today.  no joy.

what we ended up doing (thanks to my canadian snow bird farmer neighbor who is a mechanical genius) was to have him(he is small) crawl in the bay and ratchet it in from inside the bay.  then it went right in.  

took us a while to get the ram threaded in the nuts in the slide, but got it in and all aligned.   but.....what we found out when glen found a white plastic pad with shims on it hiding in the front bay.   uh ohhh    it was the white ptfe slide plate.  that was missing under where the slide track got crushed.   the picture show the plastic after we got it back in.  we had to rejack the slide up, and us long pry bars and put spacers in there to hold it up till we could get the plastic slide pad back in.  it has two plastic dowels on it and they went in holes in the slide frame rail.  

so, got it all repaired and in.  

so tomorrow is getting the slide interior pieces all back together, change the extend slide solenoid, put in the vacuum pump for the slide,  do the rivet recall fix for the slide skin shifting.  

good day, but long.  

life is good

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

what we surmised and i didnt put in the last post, is that the missing ptfe white plastic slide glide that was missing on the outbound edge directly over where the slide seal track was crushed is what made the slide hard to push in and out once the rams were disconnected. the stainless glide plate on the bottom of the slide was dragging on it and dipped down a little.

we got lucky that the slide seal we glued back in place didnt leak (yes i pressure checked it). particularly since tony had it put in only a few years ago.

we have no idea how that plastic glide could have got out. but, it was. and i am glad we accidently saw it on the floor (it was under the joey bed and would not have seen it if we didnt pull the joey bed out). in the picture, the bright metal nut and washer was what we used as a temporary spacer after glen pried the bottom of the slide up so we could slide the plastic piece back in. no trival task there either. then we took it out once the piece was in the alignment holes. i should have taken a picture of the piece but i didnt. picture a rectangle of the ptfe white plastic with two 1/2" plastic dowells a half inch long that go into matching holes on the slide rail. once in place i just cant see them ever coming out. there were also 3 thin metal spacers on it. to keep them on, i contact glued them together and to the plastic. then we took a piece of cardboard and put it over one of the dowells and used it as a guide to push it in. no room in there for fingers hardly.

i bet if we pushed the slide out manually and back in now it would go without winching or 10 cowboys and cowgirls. (hey, it is team roping season and they are all over here now)

back to work

tom

STUPID MISTAKE. i wont make it again,

we got the slide basically all back together. so i decided to change the hwh hydraulic solenoid extend for the salon that caused the problem in the first place.

i forgot to deflate the seal and when i released the pressure on the extend solenoid, the slide came out (it was only halfway out) and the seal rolled out again.

ughhhh. at least we know how to do it on this coach and it should go much faster.

on my coach when i changed the solenoid, the slide was fully extended.

i actually thought about deflating the seal, then got distracted and didnt. my bad

richard said there is a note in that compartment in his saying anytime you play with the solenoids to deflate the seal. sounds like a good note

well, tonys coach is in my shop till after the christmas holidays then we will do it all over again. hopefully it will go easier now that we have that slide block in place. and we fully know how to do it

my bad and i am sick about making a stupid mistake. fortunately tony is very patient and understanding.

tom hanging head low in az.

tom

Tom,
All those Atta-Boys gone with just one Oh-$hit!

I can't tell you how many times I've had old driving simulator systems in good working order and thought "I can make this a bit better if I just..." and pop, pop, pop goes the IC boards because I crossed something up!

Take care
Hank

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile