You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Relay near transfer switch

On the driver side rear where the 50 amp cord goes into the transfer switch (I assume) there is a relay similar to the heater relays etc.  A 110 plug is wired into this as well as  two 3 wire cords going back into the interior. A converter/charger is plugged into the 110. Any ideas as the what this relay does?? No 110 at the plug and the charger has been decommissioned at some point. Relay appears to be closed when powered up.

I got here because the power goes on/off when gen running, ok with shore and inverter.??

The transfer switch is humming a bit louder than I remember as well.

As usual thanks in advance, Mark

Mark and Marian

1986 #125   (left us for a new home in Oregon)
1999 Wanderlodge LX40
1979 Mc 8 6V92
Pace 28' stacker

Regina Beach SK  Maricopa AZ

Could you be looking at the two inverter circuits?

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

I don’t think your inverter is involved with your xfer switch. It sounds more like your generator is not up to the voltage it should be.  Have you checked your generator meters ?

Regarding you relay, Pictures are a really good way for us to help.  Otherwise it’s just a guess, even then it sometimes is a guess.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Only reason I mention inverter is that all systems are normal except transfer switch won't hold gen but works with shore and inv. I tried to get a photo but they all come out near black.

The relay looks the same as the ones in the cupboards for water heater etc.

I removed all of the stuff, including the relay, plug,charger. Didn't seem to affect anything else.

We only have a single inverter, a Magnum 4024, 4000 watts, 24 volts. Works like a champ. Can run all electric and at least 1 A/C while travelling.

The gen may be the reason the switch wont hold, never thought about things that way. When this relay was buzzing and the switch humming away I assumed the problem was there. Doesn't look that way now. The last time I tried the gen. there was some noise from under the bed, Will look that was tomorrow.

Thanks for the input, Mark

Mark and Marian

1986 #125   (left us for a new home in Oregon)
1999 Wanderlodge LX40
1979 Mc 8 6V92
Pace 28' stacker

Regina Beach SK  Maricopa AZ

If you are not comfortable working around exposed high voltage, then DO NOT follow my suggestions.

I would take the top off the transfer switch, and using a voltmeter, measure the voltage coming from the generator into the xfer switch AND the voltage on the other side of the contacts associated with the generator input. Your comment of buzzing could mean the contacts in the xfer switch are sketchy.

This quick diagnostic will tell you 1. if the voltage coming from the generator is low or variable, 2. If the contacts in the xfer switch are burned, 3. If the problem is upstream or downstream from the xfer switch.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )