You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

VMSpc Engine Selection and Version
Smile 

Just received my SilverLeaf Electronics VMSpc today.  They sent the right plug Smile

When setting it up there were two DD S60 engine options, one for 1994-1997 engines and one for I assume all others as it didn't have any years associated with it.  My coach was built in January 1994 so I assume the engine was possibly/likely built in 93.  Which engine model should I go with?

I tried them both in the software and couldn't see a difference, but that was just with my engine idling.  My engine plate on the valve covers says DDEC III/IV if that makes a difference.

Second question is when I ordered it I told them I had a 1994 Newell with a DD60, DDEC III.  They sent the CD for the V.4.0.8 software version which the website clearly says is for 2007 and newer coaches.  I went ahead and installed the 3.0.x version off there web site which was stated s being or older engines.

Is it possible he version 4.0.X will work with my older DD60 and would there be any advantages?

Doug and Cathy Musick
Coach 370
1994, 45', non-slide
DD60, Allison 741

I would call SilverLeaf Electronics, they should be able to answer your questions. You should probably have your DD60 serial number handy.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Just to follow-up what I learned.

The VMSpc engine files for the DDS60 don't have a significant difference.  The main difference is the HP and Torque charts used for the software.  DD updated these.  These are a "theoretical" indication anyway as these numbers aren't actually measured off of a sensor.  In my case I'm going with he DDS60 file for the 1994-1997 engines.

As to if I can use the newer version of software for coaches newer than 2007 the answer is yes.  However some of the standards being used for the older engine communication are not as stable with the newer software (version 40.x) and the software would sometimes not capture all the packets of information coming from the engine.

The newer version (5.0) which they are working on should work as good as the (3.0) version for the older engines when it comes out.

The VMSpc has already paying for itself as I had suspect oil pressure and coolant temperature gauges.  I wasn't 100% sure though if it was he gauges or the sensors.  I now know it is the gauges and feel much more confident my engine is operating within normal specifications.

Doug and Cathy Musick
Coach 370
1994, 45', non-slide
DD60, Allison 741

reading everything off of the ddec is what i have done for years. those dash gauges are only a suggestion of what they are supposed to be reading....ha

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH