You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Front sway bar bushings and bracket

My coach has a 1 5/8" front sway bar that attaches on the bottom of the front of the A-arms.  In the last two months I hit something, pot hole or??????, and it badly disfigured the left sway bar mount where it attaches to the left A-arm.      

Newell uses sway bars & mounts manufactured by Roadmaster Inc.  They don't sell directly, but their products are available on etrailer.com.  These are the part numbers for the repair I purchased from etrailer.com.

The bracket part number is RM140
The bushing part number is RM205222-10

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

(12-10-2020, 07:41 PM)rheavn Wrote:  My coach has a 1 5/8" front sway bar that attaches on the bottom of the front of the A-arms.  In the last two months I hit something, pot hole or??????, and it badly disfigured the left sway bar mount where it attaches to the left A-arm.  

Newell uses sway bars & mounts manufactured by Roadmaster Inc.  They don't sell directly, but their products are available on etrailer.com.  These are the part numbers for the repair I purchased from etrailer.com.

I would like to thank Steve for these part numbers. I ordered and received new sway bar bushing for the front. On our trip home recently the sway bar bushing gave out and it started to bang. 

I ended up sourcing this part from Ultra RV, a RV parts supplier that I have used several times, mostly for Koni shocks. They do not have free shipping but the price of the parts plus shipping was less expensive than Etrailer.

Here is what I ordered:
https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/205222-1...ption=true

I will update this post once I have them replaced to confirm they were a good fit.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

(10-30-2023, 01:18 PM)[email protected] Wrote:  
(12-10-2020, 07:41 PM)rheavn Wrote:  My coach has a 1 5/8" front sway bar that attaches on the bottom of the front of the A-arms.  In the last two months I hit something, pot hole or??????, and it badly disfigured the left sway bar mount where it attaches to the left A-arm.  

I would like to thank Steve for these part numbers. I ordered and received new sway bar bushing for the front. On our trip home recently the sway bar bushing gave out and it started to bang. 

I ended up sourcing this part from Ultra RV, a RV parts supplier that I have used several times, mostly for Koni shocks. They do not have free shipping but the price of the parts plus shipping was less expensive than Etrailer.

Here is what I ordered:
https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/205222-1...ption=true

I will update this post once I have them replaced to confirm they were a good fit.

So sometimes you have to learn the hard way, despite reading on here multiple times that "No Two Newells are made alike!" I went ahead and ordered new sway bar bushings without confirming my sway bar dimensions. 
So I received the new sway bar bushings I ordered and went to put them on to discover they are not even close. My sway bar is 2-1/4" diameter, and those bushings are for the 1-5/8" sway bar. Now I am on the hunt for 2-1/4" sway bar bushings and I am not having much luck. I have found some sway bar bushings for military trucks but I have not had any luck figuring out the dimensions, they only list them by the part number. I will keep looking. I am also looking at some urethane casting resin with the thought of having to make my own but I would rather not have to do that if I can buy them ready made. If I had an old one that was in good shape to make a mold from it would be much easier but mine are almost gone. I am going to have to make a mold from scratch and then hope it is the correct size.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

My son has a coatings business and has 55 gallon drums of polyurethane resin and the ISO which makes it hard. There are two types of polyurethane processes, one is the hot process which is very hard material and not what your looking for the other is the cold process which is what your looking for, he has done many things for me but its not as easy as it sounds. The poly and ISO must be heated then it goes to a metering system as cold process is not a 50/50 mix then it goes through 50 foot of hose to the gun and mixing chamber this stuff sets in seconds. In doing all this there is a lot of waste and I have gotten 5 gallon plastic buckets of this stuff and cut it with a bandsaw and drilled it with a hole saw but it. If I was home I would send you some but we are in Alabama now for 3 months. If you have a place local that does truck beds, call and see if they do hot or cold process and if they have any waste.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

(11-26-2023, 05:45 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  My son has a coatings business and has 55 gallon drums of polyurethane resin and the ISO which makes it hard. There are two types of polyurethane processes, one is the hot process which is very hard material and not what your looking for the other is the cold process which is what your looking for, he has done many things for me but its not as easy as it sounds. The poly and ISO must be heated then it goes to a metering system as cold process is not a 50/50 mix then it goes through 50 foot of hose to the gun and mixing chamber this stuff sets in seconds. In doing all this there is a lot of waste and I have gotten 5 gallon plastic buckets of this stuff and cut it with a bandsaw and drilled it with a hole saw but it. If I was home I would send you some but we are in Alabama now for 3 months. If you have a place local that does truck beds, call and see if they do hot or cold process and if they have any waste.

Thanks for the idea's Jack. I think most of the products I am looking at are urethane, not sure exactly how it compares to polyurethane but I have seen where some folks have made bushings with it. The product I am looking at is available in either hardness of 70A or 90A durometer. I am leaning toward the 90 because I know this is going to be under quite a bit of stress.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

90a is practically steel. 70a is what the suspension bushings front and back are.

When it stops raining, I will put the durometer on the existing sway bar bushing and read it for you.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(11-26-2023, 11:56 AM)Richard Wrote:  90a is practically steel. 70a is what the suspension bushings front and back are.

When it stops raining, I will put the durometer on the existing sway bar bushing and read it for you.

Thanks, I was worried that 90 might be a bit too hard. Why should I be surprised that you have a durometer. Big Grin

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

Cause, I was going down the same path on casting the front suspension bushings before Mr. Bill found ready made ones. I needed to know what the old ones were before making new ones.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

It is urethane not polyurethane, my bad.  Big Grin

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Jack, you’re good. Both terms work. But if you want to be persnickety about it.

Urethane is the correct term for the monomer, the building block of the system chemically. Polyurethane is the term used when the monomer (urethane) has been stimulated either by heat or a catalyst to link together the individual monomer molecules into longer chains of molecules.

The chemistry of the catalyst is adjusted to control how long the chains become, and how much cross linking they form with other chains. The longer the chain the more elastic the polymer(elasticity), the more cross linking the more stiffness (modulus) the polymer will have.

The two part castable resins range from about 20a to 90a durometer. The catalyst chemistry is the controlling factor in the hardness of the part. These are designed for the chemical reaction to work at room temperature. They can take up to a week to fully cure into their final properties.

The injectable urethanes contain a heat activated catalyst. The reaction goes quickly and the part is ready to go as soon as it cools. These are not for the DYI guy.

Sorry you mentioned it right. Retired Chemical Engineer who spent his work life in polymer based industries couldn’t resist the explanation.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad