You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Running on 30 amp?

So my new to me coach did not have the Newell supplied splitter/combiner  adapter included.

I see the diagrams in the manual and how one connects it all together. Is that hydra headed thing available anyplace? or is a conventional splitter with 30 amp to 15 amp adapters the same thing? If so, how would the 2nd leg be fed???

Thanks,

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

A 30amp service is 110v. The 50amp service is 220v. You would need 2 30amp adapters that feed different legs of the 220v service. Occasionally you can find 30amp services on different legs that you can tap into for 220v service.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Our coach is old. so no 240 volt devices., and no double pole breakers in the electric panel, with the exception being the main 50 amp 2 pole  breaker. But we do have a 50 amp 240 volt ( 2  120 volt inputs , a ground and a neutral. ) We use an off the shelf Walmart 50 to 30 adapter. It sends the same 120 volt input to both sides of the electric panel in the coach. We have to be very judicious in our electric use, keeping in mind that our water heater can demand 12 amps at any time if we don't turn it off. We are limited to 1 a/c unit when running a 30 amp adapter.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

What was the adapter cable supplied by newell that is in manuals?

Is it available?

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

dunno why you would want to use it.

if you are just sitting in a driveway etc, 20a is enough to keep the batteries charged. not many people have 2 30a circuits anywhere.

and if you ran off of two 20a circuits, all that means is you could run maybe 2 air conditioners.

i have never used one of them on any of the 3 coaches i have had.

and for the purests out there.....there is no longer 110 v or 220v it is all 120v and 240v.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

So, if I had a 220v/50 amp female to two 120v/30a and further 120v/15a adapter (or two) I could accomplish the same thing.

But what if i only had one leg of 120v/15a and left one disconnected. What issues would that cause?

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

If you buy the adapter like @Guy has, it'll supply 120v to both legs and give you 30amps plus a little overhead to deal with. If you have any 240v devices, you should check the owner's manual so you don't harm them with low voltage.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

i am still wondering who actually uses the adapter/splitter? i have had several newells and never used one.

the reason i mentioned that voltages are now 120v and 240v and not 110 and 220 like it used to be is that if you are measuring voltages you need to know what is right. if you are drawing 110v by measurement you are at the low end of acceptable voltage. i think my power monitor shuts off power to the coach at a little under 108. thats where you can damage compressors.

i had a problem at my house a few years ago in the hot summer where my power monitor (in the transfer switch) was constantly shutting off power to the coach. the relays in the transfer switch were just a clacking. that is because the incoming power to my house was too low. i measured it, called the power company and they tried to tell me all was well. when the lineman came to my house and actually measured, he agreed. they found some faulty line capacitors downstream (the big ones on the poles) and once replaced, all was well. i am sure my neighbors and those around me had no idea. i also used a simple watt/power meter you plug in the wall in the house that showed the same thing.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Hmmmm, lots of info in this thread. Let me see if i can help with your original question, what was the adapter listed in the manual and what was it used for.

Newell supplied an adaptor the would plug into a 30 amp and 20 amp plugs simultaneously. The adaptor terminated in a 50 amp plug the the coach would plug into. The idea as that you could possibly run more appliances such as air conditioners when you did not have a 50 amp pedestal. In general its a bad idea in my opinion because you have no way of knowing if the pedestal is wired with one or two hot legs and the gauge wire used to feed the pedestal. By using adaptor you could unintentionally lower the voltage by pulling too many amps on the park wiring, which in turn tends to cause AC compressors to fail.

Its a catch22 in that if you know enough to use a voltmeter to determine if you actually have two phases of hot power, you probably know enough not to use the adaptor.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )