You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Alternator conversion

@"Deper10"

When you solve the riddle, will you post the answer so we all can learn?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Well we are back in North Carolina, after spending the winter in Florida, and Andrea going through knee surgery. I left the coach here in storage and have finally had a chance to get back on the alternator issue. I cleaned all the battery connections and have checked the voltage at all of the battery terminals and while reading 13+ volts at all of them I am still only getting 10.5 volts at the ignition wire when the key is turned on. I also tried running a direct wire from the battery to the alternator and when the engine is running I am getting all kinds of readings and have been told by Newell to install a diode to prevent any current flowing back from the alternator. I plan on doing this to the direct wire and see if it starts the alternator but I still can't figure out the 10.5 from the ignition switch. I also want to let you know that I used an external compressor for the air systems and it worked great. Had a friend stop by every other week or so to drain it.
Thanks for all your comments.

Dario and Andrea Perini
#581 2001 45'8"

.pdf Altenator Wire.pdf Size: 274.88 KB  Downloads: 26

Well I'm not sure that I have solved it but I finally did get the alternator to start working. In addition to the 12volt ignition wire to excite the alternator, turns out the only way to get it going was to also excite the positive battery cable coming from the alternator to the center post of the isolator. I accomplished this by making a short 12ga jumper wire running from the lower isolator post, the coach battery connection, to the center post. When this is done the alternator kicks in and is putting out almost 14 volts at the battery and at the volt meter in the dash. Looks like everything is working fine, dash A/C, lights, wipers, etc. My understanding is that once the alt kicks in, it stops the flow from the jumper wire. This is the only way I have been able to get it working but am concerned that I might be creating another unforeseen problem. I will try to attach a picture of the isolator and jumper wire

Dario Perini
#581 2001 45'8"