You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

HWH Electronic Board

I have a burned pin on a HWH electronic board. When power goes to this pin, my coach goes to ride height. I've attached two photos. One photo shows the back of the board and you can see where 1 of the 4 pins has gotten hot and looks slightly burned. The other photo shows my finger touching an orange connector. This connector goes on the 4 pins and you can see the darkened right side of the pin where it has overheated. 

My electrical skills are fairly good, but I don't have much experience with boards like this. So, here is what I'm thinking:
1. I don't think the board is burned too badly (although i haven't removed the connector yet and I might find out otherwise)
2. My thought is I can probably remove the connector
3. Put a new connector on the wire(s).  THIS IS A PROBLEM as I don't know where to get this connector and it looks like it may take a special device to attach a wire to this connector.  (I sent email to HWH hoping to get one of these, but they never responded)
4. Clean the existing pin
5. Connect new connector to board.

Item #3 is the problem.  (Although I welcome any other thoughts if you think I'm going to have trouble with the board).  Where can I get a connector like this and am I going to need a special tool to attach it to the wires? It didn't occur to me when I had the board loose and was looking at it, but is it possible there is a cap on the top of this connector that just pushes the wire down into the pin, and therefore doesn't require a tool?  

Thanks for your thoughts!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Alan Johnson
Dallas Tx

Newell #485
1998 2 slides

I'm not sure what the turnaround time is now at HWH but a couple years ago I sent my board in over the Christmas holidays and got it back repaired in less than 2 weeks. All for the astronomical amount of $75.00 I also sent in my touchpad and had them put on a new face for $15.00
It's worth it to call, don't remember the nice lady who answered the phone but she was very helpful (I think it was Martha). No need to wait to talk to a technician which can take a couple weeks. She can give you a return authorization number.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

So, resolder the cold joint which has given high resistance leading to too much heat.

Then clean up the existing connector.

Put it back together and see what you got.

Worst case you can get 1/8 female terminals, cover them with heat shrink, and manually connect it.

You are right on the connector. You can buy them from places like Mouser. You will need the internal pins and the tool for crimping/inserting them into the connector.

I had the same thing happen to me at the same connector.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Hi Alan,

My recent experience with HWH was not very good. I think they are overwhelmed right now and would caution against sending them anything. They missed their promises to me by months.
In addition to what Richard suggests there is a possibility the high resistance connection could be between the pin and its socket. Not saying it is, just don't discount that possibility. We do know there is a high resistance problem right there for sure. Finding the right connector, pins, and sockets and tools can be a challenge, but the answer is out here somewhere on the amazing internet. Just have to keep digging and maybe trying a time or two before you get the correct ones.

Good Luck - You can fix this.

Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input! I watched a video about cold solder joints, and I think I can repair the joint on the board.

Richard, I looked on Mouser.com. I feel like i should replace that connector because it looks like it may be burned inside. But I'm not sure I could ever find the correct one. There are 4 pins on that connector, but only one (or maybe two) are in use. Do you think you could send me a link for the one you are referring to? That would help me get started. If my best option is to buy a crimper I can do that as well, I'm just not familiar with this type of connector or crimper.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan Johnson
Dallas Tx

Newell #485
1998 2 slides

Alan, send some detailed pics with measurements via email and i will try to find the connector. Use the email option on the forum

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

For posterity, I am going to include the part number for the burned connector I had to replace on the HWH board. Richard Entrekin was able to find this for me... I would have never found it, thanks Richard!

If you look in the earlier picture, there is an orange connector I'm holding. It is a pass-thru connector (the wire enters and keeps going, without being cut). I think there are also similar connectors used elsewhere on these HWH boards, some probably 2 or 3 pin. But with the information here on this 4-pin, you could probably also locate ones with a different number of pins. Also, my original connector had a cap on it. I was not able to find this part number, but as the cap was ok, I re-used it on the new connector.

I will include manufacturer information as well as mouser.com link and #.

1. Manufacturer is TE Connectivity
2. Manufacturer part number: 3-643817-4
3. Mouser # 571-3-643817-4
4. Link https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-...kUZA%3D%3D

Alan

Alan Johnson
Dallas Tx

Newell #485
1998 2 slides