You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Electric problem

HELP
Trouble started as follows 
1-GIRARD awning would not extend
2-Aquahot  coolant low (found overflow tube
Leaking, used JB weld to repair) I topped off with coolant, pressure tested and turned Aquahot electric side on
And went home
3-the next morning I went back to check things I found a breaker tripped (it was labeled 
Front AC) I reset breaker.....and all heck broke loose
The gen started (all by its self...does not have auto start)
4- i went outside to look over and found wiring on aquahot on fire. I extinguished flames
And then found I couldn’t stop gen. I then pulled out the unit and started trying to remove
Wiring from starter .... but before I could get wires pulled the starter was smoking.
It was a BAD day

After looking over things I decided we needed a new Aquahot and new gen starter
I have tested/checked everything I can think of ...SO I called Newell
Is now in their shop the aqua has been pulled and shipped to MFG for repairs 
The gen set has a new starter BUT will not it start...no power to starter

I think some how AC and DC power got crossed (gen started when breaker reset)
 Newell guys say that can’t happen .....I think it DID

I need ideas.....think about it....what screwed up

George

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

Here is a shot in the dark

In my coach the generator on off switches are in the galley cabinet and over the dash.  Pull those panels loose and look for mice damage.  A pesky rodent could easily short the generator start controls.  My awning wiring runs thru there as well. 

No clue about AC.

Also... where were you plugged in when this happened.   Maybe a problem with campground wiring?
Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Wow George, I have never heard of the replacement of a Aqua Hot heater due to a bad wire that can be replaced with the heater in place at an RV park. The reman cost is $8400 plus labor chewing up almost $10,000 for a wire. And, in your case, maybe a Roger Berke Filler Neck Kit, $350.

The new heater will be fitted with the zero pressure coolant tank having the freshwater coil in the coolant tank. This means the tank will be filled with GRAS boiler fluid rather than engine antifreeze. Keep a gallon or so on hand to top off the new overflow bottle that comes with the reman heater.

There is no radiator cap on the new tank, just an open brass elbow. Keep the overflow bottle loaded. If one needs to pour in a gallon or more into the coolant tank, the little elbow is where the air must come out and incoming coolant will air lock. There is a tire air relief valve to help speed things up but not by much. When I need to put coolant into the new tank, I pump it in through the drain vavle so only air goes out the elbow.

You should have very good operation out of the reman heater along with a one year Aqua Hot warranty on the entire heater.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Sorry to hear of this calamity. Since you suspect s short of AC to DC, I would ensure that ALL AC and DC sources are physically disconnected BEFORE I did any poking around.

I would start in a couple of places. I would remove the panels with the gen start switches in the galley and drivers console and take a look see at the wiring. On my coach that is the common place they could meet.

But, if you do indeed have AC on the DC lines it could jump the electronics in thermostats and switches. I would start by making some basic continuity checks between AC and DC systems

And most importantly, I would call my insurance company right away. This could get ugly fast.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

If A/C got onto your 12 vdc circuits, the Aqua Hot is just another worry. AC would not hurt the tank but all 12 vdc components could be fried. If insurance will replace the heater and the many other 12 vdc components in the coach, that would make the situation somewhat eaiser to deal with.

All the best sorting this all out.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

I suspect the starting of the generator was caused by the remote wiring being involved in another wire shorting event.  The generator remote is a three wire system, start, stop, & ground.   The start wire became grounded remotely starting the generator.   Since there are multiple switch points, any one can be used to operate the set and they are all connected to the set by a plug arrangement.  Unplugging that remote cable would have stopped the starting but I’ll bet the starter was already suffering.

Inspect the generator wiring without the remote cable plugged in since that is where the problem started.  After it is back to normal, work on the remote wiring.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567