You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

2002/2007 Newell Coach

That surprises me, I would have thought an A/C unit in the basement would be less noisy than a A/C compressor switching on & off just over your bed.

(03-19-2013, 05:49 AM)bikestuff Wrote:  Chuck, be sure to check the Air Conditioner units. My coach is a year newer but it looks like that one has the same AC setup as mine. Although I bought my coach at Newell and only let those guys work on it....it seems that I can never get the ACs working properly. If that coach is the same as mine (I think it is)....It has two AC units in the "basement". Each one has two compressors. One of the units supplies air to the front of coach and the other one to the back. In my case, I had problems with both units (multiple times) and one of the thermostats.

The weather in Las Vegas may not allow you to "feel" the cold air...but at a minimum you should turn both units on full blast cooling. Then look at the meters above the driver. You should see around 20 amps draw on L1 and L2. (The units are wired to separate circuits).

Many of the guys on here have had good luck with these Acs. My experience has been a bit more trying. I think that if the units work, they work. If they don't work...well they are hard to repair and as far as I know there is not an option to replace them.

Good luck with that coach. I hope it is as good as it looks in the pics!

Bill,

Thanks for the "heads up" on the A/C units..

Chuck & Tela Millsap

Bullhead City, AZ

2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S

2004 Wanderlodge M380 D/S Sold

2000 Wanderlodge LXi N/S Sold

'06 Jeep Liberty Toad

Chuck,
On my previous four coaches I have had the a/c units built right into the ceiling where you control them individually. They blew air directly downward & were quite noisy. The Newell roof airs on my coach are thermostatically controlled and ducted. The ducting is plywood and them covered by the ceiling treatments. The vents don't point downward, but out into the coach from above the ceiling treatments. All of this quiets down the a/c units tremendously. I'm not saying you don't hear moving air, but I do in my home also.

Having 4 a/c units spread throughout the coach gives one a lot of flexibility. We don't run the a/c over the bed when we sleep. If we want air movement we run the ceiling fan. But we do run up to three, normally one or two, of the other units as needed. We are totally happy with the roof air setup!

Just for historical purposes, when my coach was built the basement airs were an upgrade. Three roof airs were standard. Adding a 4th roof air brought the cost up to the basement air cost. Once Newell started building 3 & 4 slide coaches ducted air was insufficient when the slides were in and they have gone back to roof airs.

Hope this is helpful............................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I hear of other having problems with the basement a/cs and buying up spare circuit boards but I guess Ive been lucky with mine. Ive not had any issues with mine. Does anybody know where I can get a spare board just to be safe? Also, how do you service these basement units?

Jimmy,

A long time ago one of the AC techs at Newell told me that 80% of all of the air conditioner issues could be fixed by changing the circuit board. So I bought 2 extra circuit boards as spares. The next time I had a problem, I changed the circuit board - he was right - problem solved.

I called SCS (Southern Climate Systems) and they had 15 circuit boards left. So I bought one and kept it as a spare. Then I met an electrical engineer thru this forum, and he told me that the wires on the circuit boards were too small to carry the loads. He recommended installing heavy gauge wires with rubber connectors. I upgraded the circuit boards on the coach and the spare with the new heavy gauge wire - END OF PROBLEMS!

I am going to let the spare circuit boards go with the sale of my coach. I have not had 1 minutes trouble with the basement ACs since they were upgraded with the heavy gauge wire and the rubber connectors.

Personally, I feel that the manufacturer used light gauge wire so that the circuit boards would fail and they could sell replacements at a high price. I consider $234 for a circuit board a high price.

So in summary, if you want to have trouble free basement ACs re-wire them with heavier gauge wire.Smile

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

Tuga, can I buy your two spare circuit boards?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Sorry Chester, I am going to let them go with the coach. I feel that it is a good selling feature to buy a coach with a good supply of spare parts. For instance, I have the 5 sensors that can shut down a series 60 engine. High water temp sensor, low oil pressure sensor, and 3 others that I can not recall at the moment. The logic is if the engine shuts down because of a sensor failure I am at least ahead if I have the part on board.

If I hear of anyone who has some extra circuit boards I'll let you know.

There are companies on the internet that will repair a circuit board if you burn a relay or whatever. You can send it to them, they can test it and find the problem, and then they turn it around fairly quickly.

If you update your circuit boards with the heavy duty wire and the rubber connections you will probably never need a spare circuit board.

I posted the part # and the supplier of the wiring somewhere on this forum: I'll try to find it and post it for you. If I can't find it, I will look up in my maintenance records and see if I can find it.Smile

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

Let me weigh in with some additional info. I too had circuit board failures, the relay on the board that powers the compressor failed. It simply burned up.

But the story goes beyond that. I found in all three junction boxes that the wire nuts connecting the power wires were loose. Loose connections equal lower voltage equal hi current equal burned up circuits. Check your wiring connections yearly.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(03-22-2013, 05:16 PM)tuga Wrote:  Sorry Chester, I am going to let them go with the coach. I feel that it is a good selling feature to buy a coach with a good supply of spare parts. For instance, I have the 5 sensors that can shut down a series 60 engine. High water temp sensor, low oil pressure sensor, and 3 others that I can not recall at the moment. The logic is if the engine shuts down because of a sensor failure I am at least ahead if I have the part on board.

If I hear of anyone who has some extra circuit boards I'll let you know.

There are companies on the internet that will repair a circuit board if you burn a relay or whatever. You can send it to them, they can test it and find the problem, and then they turn it around fairly quickly.

If you update your circuit boards with the heavy duty wire and the rubber connections you will probably never need a spare circuit board.

I posted the part # and the supplier of the wiring somewhere on this forum: I'll try to find it and post it for you. If I can't find it, I will look up in my maintenance records and see if I can find it.Smile

Chester,

Here are the part numbers and the name of the firm and the phone number.

Purchased the above AC wires from Waytek, Inc. 952 949-0765
Molded conn GXL wire 2 contact 12" loop #37140
Molded conn GXL wire 3 contact 12" loop #37141
Hope this helps youSmile

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

Tuga, thanks a bunch.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica