You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tow car, truck bed liner bumper

I figure I have dragged the old Subie about 100K miles behind our coaches. The front bumper was showing the effects, plus the usual dings and impacts a 14 year old car will have. 

I have been thinking for couple of years about how to spiff that up a bit without going into the prep work needed to make new paint look decent. New glossy paint over beat up surfaces will look worse than doing nothing. So I got this idea of using bed liner tinted the original color of the bumper. That redneck instinct kicked in and this week I painted the bumpers and rocker panels with tinted bed liner. 

I did some experiments first using the Shuchtz gun that is normally used, but that gave a heavy texture. Plus the recommendations of the stuff I used, Dominator, had you spraying from 2 ft away. That gave a grainy feel to the finish, perhaps good for keeping your firewood from sliding around, but I was afraid you could never get the bugs off that finish. 

I finally settled on using an HVLP gun with a 2.0 mm nozzle normally used to spray heavy primer. I cut the glop about 20% just to get it to flow and wet out a little better. Holding the gun about 8 inches from the surface and spraying a good wet coat gave me a moderate texture and sheen.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Nice job. Did you remove the bumper or just tape it out?
My Lexus has the dreaded Blizzard Pearl paint job that is beginning to flake off. Some of the Lexus guys have painted their entire car using Raptor liner in various colors. I'll probably do that in the near future. The biggest question is how smooth can I get the texture. Your spray job looks pretty smooth and is probably what I'll be looking for.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I taped the bumpers and rockers. Covered the entire car with masking film. I can bring you some to Spearfish. Washed the areas to be painted with industrial degreaser, then scuffed by hand with 220 grit paper, wiped down three times with laquer thinner. I was really really really afraid of getting fish eyes from any leftover wax on the car.

The key to the smooth surface was using the primer gun, reducing the bedliner about 20%, and holding the gun close enough and slow enough to get a nice wet coat.

If you used the guns that come with the bedliner, it will be WAY to rough in my opinion.

The obvious reasons for doing this are the tremendous reduction in prep time over just respraying the bumper/rockers or the whole car in your case, second it's tougher than paint, and third it's about 1/3 the price of color/clear coating.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

What a great idea. Looks fantastic.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Great job Richard. Makes perfect sense in light of the abuse that the front of toads get.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Great work

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

The liner looks like a genuine factory Subaru job.  Cutting the material was a smart idea.  And talking about rock ding resistance, you've got it now.  And all this can be done outdoors without fear of inhaling those nasty volatiles long as you stay upwind.

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer" 

Lookin’ good!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Looking good Richard! What make is your HVLP gun?

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Of course I used the local outdoor paint booth, but I always wear a respirator with organic cartridges.

The HVLP gun I used for this was a el cheapo used for primer.

I do have a very nice one that I use for clear and color, but the nozzle on that one is 1.0 mm, too small to handle the gloppy bed liner.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad