You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

120V compressor cycling off and on

I can't figure this one out. When my supply air pressure gets down to 80lbs the compressor turns on like it is supposed to but only runs for about 10 seconds then shuts off. I can hear and feel the contactor and the pressure switch working. In about 10 minutes it repeats that same cycle.

The way I think it is supposed to work is when it gets down to 80lbs the compressor is supposed to come on and run until it gets up to 100lbs and then shuts off. Not turning back on until it get's down to 80lbs again.

I have replaced the pressure switch, check valves and relief valves but I don't know what else to try.

Any ideas?

Ron & Jennifer Ward
2003 Newell Show Coach #643 (Racer Bus) Triple Slide, DD 60
Visalia, CA

Since you've changed those parts your new parts should be working properly.
For grins bleed off the air then take off the outlet tubing from the compressor and see if it still shuts off quickly or continues to run, it should since it won't be able to build pressure. That will tell you if the problem is with the compressor or downstream. Or put a pressure gauge at the output of the compressor to see what the pressure is doing as it runs with the tubing hooked up.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Check valve put in backwards could cause that.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

The thermal overload switch in the compressor motor could be trippin. Try what Forest said before looking at anything else.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks guys, I'll try those ideas and let you know if that resolves it.

Ron & Jennifer Ward
Visalia, CA

Well I tried those suggestions and it didn't change anything but after more troubleshooting I did figure it out. One of the 2 HWH Solenoid Valves that I replaced that opens when the compressor circuit comes on quit working, so the compressor would start but stop once it pressurized the air line. Now when the supply pressure drops down to 80lbs the compressor comes on then shuts off at 100lbs, like it was designed.  Cool

Just because the part is new doesn't mean it won't fail soon after installation  Big Grin  

Thanks guys!

Ron & Jennifer Ward
Visalia, CA

Thanks for reporting back on the fix.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )