You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New to the Newell Galaxy

Mike, I did as extensive Internet search as was available in the '90s before buying our 1973 coach. One article that was available then but can't find now was discussing chassis. Newell's have what's called a semi-monocoque chassis. Most RVs built have what's called a frame rail chassis. The Newell chassis is built to last well over a million miles and holds up extremely well if you were ever to get in an accident. The article had pictures of frame rail chassis involved in rollover accidents where the end caps, roof, and sides all separated from the RV.

Another benefit to the chassis, we didn't have any unidentified rattles. Just a matter of learning how to store pots, pans, dishes, glasses, and silverware better.

Another side note, tires on our coaches are measured more accurately by age than distance. You might want to get the date codes off your tires before risking a misadventure. Most people on this forum replace tires between 5 and 7 years.

Others may not agree, but I have found Harbor Freight to be an excellent source for inexpensive tools. If you go to their website you can get 20% off coupons to print out.

That's my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Forest,
I see you’re in the New Orleans area. I’m originally from the West Bank, Are there any upcoming mud bug festivities that you know of or has covid just about wiped out all the fun stuff this year too. It wouldn’t take much to cross the line back to cajun country.
:-)

Mike and Beth Magee 
80 Newell Classic 37’ Cat 3208T
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

I'm in Gonzales, I think there will be some festivals but our governor is resisting opening things up. It will happen just not sure when. BTW the crawfish are nice and big so far!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Mike,

I think you are going to find that Newell used commercially available Class 8 truck drive trains, axles, and brake systems that were in use at the time of construction. As you restore your baby, you will do well to find a counter guy at a truck supply with some birthdays behind him.

Unfortunately, not many have taken on a coach of that vintage, so our help may be generic at times. When finished you will have less time, less money, less rust, more aesthetics, more conversation starters, and more hair than those who choose to buy a used passenger coach and self convert.

We would love to see pictures of the as found condition, and pics every step of the way as you bring her back to life.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I am encouraged by the fact that maintenance parts for  “off the shelf” is still available for the tried and true class 8 axles, brakes and suspension systems. While there are resources available for those products. Luckily the Perkins genset, cat, and ridewell systems that were used on this coach and most of the consumable maintenance bushings, hoses, bearings, seals, brake linings, pumps and diesel parts, and air brake systems etc are still available. Original Hard parts or assemblies? Not so much, but hopefully an OTR big truck salvage yard can find something replaceable, but that’s worse case scenario. As far as above the floor is concerned, anything goes. 
     We are fortunate that all the systems are working at this point but we know how forty year old gremlins can be on Hvac, water, plumbing, appliances, and just about any thing electrical.

Hopefully I can upgrade to the 21st century on some things. I’m looking at the options for an updated sound system, preferably with cellular/Bluetooth or Wi-Fi capability and an integrated mapping system with side and backup cameras. Also am considering a satellite upgrade and solar/inverter addition and possibly with Lithium coach batteries. I’m sure the original 12v converter will need upgrading as I have replaced others with progressive dynamics in other motorhomes for proper battery maintenance and longevity.

Other than that, I’ll try to keep it as original as possible due to the fact that it’s in such good shape. Sometimes simple is best. I’m definitely open to suggestions.
    Maybe one day they’ll make a plug and play AWARE system to retrofit.... ok I’m dreaming now,
:-)

Mike and Beth Magee 
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

Mike, sounds like we're on a similar path. I've decided on J1939 CANbus, the worldwide standard for trucks, busses, and heavy equipment. One of my next projects will be to replace my steering wheel with a 'smart' wheel just like in modern vehicles.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86

Are you going to use the J1939 only or add the RV-C protocol as well. How hard is it to add these systems to a classic coach?

Mike and Beth Magee 
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

Mike, I have not researched the RV-C protocol yet, I currently don't have any devices that can use it.

I replaced the mechanical motor and transmission with the intent of going to digital gauges. I will continue the pursuit of replacing all analog gauges with digital ones.

My first concern is driveability, hands-free blue tooth, steering wheel control of cruise, headlights, wiper, radio, and paddle shifters. There are numerous manufactures of programable body control modules (BCMs) and Arduino CANbus readers to interpret all CANbus signals. Might take some time, but it's definitely doable.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86

We’re just starting to get our sea legs, probably just the basics until we get familiar enough with where everything is. I have a custom dashboard in my Winnebago Elandan that has a gps speedometer and extra gauges for Transmision temperatures as well. Good luck on your transition to the 21st century. Looking forward to seeing your coach someday.

Mike and Beth Magee 
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

Mike, there are numerous posts about the inaccuracy of analog gauges on this forum. For an inexpensive solution that will take you into the 21st century, buy J1939 sending units. Get a programmable BSM, a Bluetooth ODBII scanner, and an OBDII diagnostic port. Run a CANbus cable from the BSM to the OBDII diagnostic port, only CAN high and CAN low signals are necessary for this to work. Power and ground from a circuit controlled by the ignition to finish wiring the diagnostic port. Get 'Torque Pro', 5$ Android app. You can use your Android phone or tablet. Torque comes with a built-in GPS speedometer and compass. You can build your dash using your Isuzu, picking the gauges you need to monitor. If the J1939 sending units are sending a different identifier than the Isuzu, program the BSM to match.

I see that you can buy a Cat 3208 ECM, but have no idea what it would take to convert your current mechanical motor to electronic.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86