You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Early clues to fuel filter problems

In 13 years and 100k miles of coach use, I have never had to change a fuel filter while on a trip. I had my first experience a couple of days ago. We had to climb Black Mountain into Asheville NC, and I had NO power. I also could not build any boost over about 5 psi. I suspected fuel filter, but I had 20 more miles to go before the campground, and that was plenty of time for my mind to run away to turbo issues, ECM issues, air intake issues, and mostly ruined trip. Oh yeah, think horses not zebras I said. 

I had spare filters and ATF so changing the filter was not a problem. Except spinning the locking ring loose was a bear, that a channel lock filter wrench bested. 

But that’s just background for the real reason for the post. I had early warning clues that would have saved me the slog up the mountain IF I had only recognized what was happening. 

Here were the early warning clues, that obviously make sense in hindsight. One, the coach felt like it was  “missing” occasionally on an entrance ramp. The “miss” would go away as soon as we were up to speed. Since the engine doesn’t have plugs, wires, or distributor, “miss” is just a way to describe how it felt. Also, at the very top of rolling hills, the coach would “miss” one time. Just one very quick stutter. Most of this happened before I changed out a failing wheel bearing a week ago. I had written off the signs as the wheel bearing having a rough spot. 

Anyway, if I had recognized these as early warning signs, I would have checked the filter housing and noticed it was full all the way to the top of the clear bowl. 

Stay safe out there. And keep spare filters on board!

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I wonder what caused the fuel filter to clog. Any weirdness in the filter bowl?

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Diesel looks darker than normal. Algae from the winter in Florida? Contaminates from the last fill up? Hi percentage of biodiesel dissolving 20 years of crud in the system? I dont know, but based on color of filter bowl and level after stopping today, i dont think i am through changing filters

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Richard, does your rig have a cartridge filter up stream of the bowl?  Some do, just wondering.  

My bowl filter needs changed again, after less than 2000 miles.  My engine sometimes stalls when accelerating, but it did that before and after I changed the filter last time.  If I let off the peddle and press it back down slowly it takes off again.  It makes plenty of boost then.  Probably not my filter but not sure what the problem is.

Doug and Cathy Musick
Coach 370
1994, 45', non-slide
DD60, Allison 741

You might want to consider having your fuel tank polished. Check around any marinas for someone who does this. I know Keith Risch at MOT in Nacogdoches has a filtration system and does this on the side.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Doug, my rig does not have a prefilter prior to the Davco 382.

Forest, my strategy is to run this tank pretty low, and keep changing filters if needed. If it persists after the next fill up, then polishing will be in order. Hmmmmmm, 12V transfer pump from HF, ten feet of fuel line, and a water filter housing and filters from Lowe’s, the rusty gears are slowly turning...............

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

It shouldn't be hard to put one together. A sediment filter would work since you're trying to filter out bigger stuff. The higher velocity you can get would work better to stir up the crud. It would probably be best to do it with a 1/4 tank or so. Another fun project!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

It would be scary....but a paint mixer on a long rod through the filler neck? That would def stir up the sediment....but may clog the tube. <- stupid idea but may trigger a better one.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Thanks Richard.
I was wondering about any tell-tale signs leading up to a clogged fuel filter since our birthday luncheon at your house. This gives me some answers.
What type of ATF did you have for priming the fuel filter? I remember you telling me to keep a brand new unopened gallon onboard. I remember thinking it was the least expensive and nothing special. New and unopened were the key words.
We are fixing to leave next week to MD and NY for Natalie's father's interment and I could choose I-77 for the big long hill into VA or I-95 around Richmond and Washington DC.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

Since my little adventure, another guru @"RussWhite" educatd me that the pump by the fill nozzle on the tank can be used to prime the filter. Just loosen the top and pump until you see fuel.

Because I am a curious sort, I loosened the fill cap on the Davco, and pumped the priming knob about ten strokes to confirm that mine worked. The fuel level came up about two inches in the bowl. Woo hoo, i no longer have to keep a couple of gallons of atf on board.

Thanks Russ!

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad