You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

HOT Exhaust

SAFETY CAUTION[/b]: If your exhaust exits straight back it may cause excessive pressure and temperature in the front tire(s) depending on which model coach you're driving.  The p2000i single exhaust exits directly in front of the left front tire of the towed vehicle and in our case caused excessive pressure and temperature (46psi and 171degrees F)  when climbing grades at slower speeds and high turbo boost which reduced the air flow.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer" 

Unable to obtain a 45 degree 5" bend stainless exhaust extension we used a 90 degree and cut it at the angle needed to redirect the tailpipe laterally.  Along the way we discovered that the new muffler installed at the factory last October broke loose because the butt weld to the chassis failed.  We had enough metal to create a 90 degree bend by heating the bracket then using the 3/8 hole to bolt it thru the frame and by modifying the tailpipe bracket were able to create a sturdy support for the tailpipe.  Now with the hot exhaust directed laterally, hopefully aided by the fins inside the pipe the left front tire won't heat up to dangerous levels. 

The photos show the original orientation followed by the modified position.  An additional section of fascia on the lower edge of the bumper did need removal to maintain ground clearance. 

The upcoming trip from Star Valley, Wy. to Spearfish will let us know if the modification works.

Sandy and Bob McBratney

I don’t love your issue, but I love the way you roll. Cardboard creeper, sawzall, and Dremel tool. A man after my own heart.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Try BH Tubes for your stainless piping. I used them to custom make one from the turbo out and while it took some effort, I eventually got a very nice exhaust set up on that coach. They should have a 5" 45 in stock.

BH Tubes
220 Allentown Road
Souderton, PA 18964
866-210-5545

www.bhtubes.com

06 M450LXi 3 slide

Very clever, Bob!

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Tow 2017 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)

Update:
After driving from Star Valley, Wy up thru Jackson Hole and across Wyoming to Spearfish, SD the results are in.  Redirecting the exhaust has dropped the left front tire temperature on the towed vehicle significantly.  The left front now runs about 10 degrees warmer than the right side instead of the 60 degree difference we were experiencing before changing the direction of the exhaust.

Sandy and Bob McBratney