You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

storage slide tray project

I wanted to add a sliding tray to one of my storage trays for my new grill. I started looking on line and found out they were pretty expensive,  so I decided to make my own. I bought a set of 36" Austin Hardware (500 lb) drawer slides on facebook market place for 50.00 awesome price) and enlisted the help of a friend. 
We started pulling together some scrap steel he had laying around. We started off with some 3" x 1/4' angle iron, which was probably overkill but it is what was available and free. We welded some cross members to make sure we stayed square and welded the drawer slides to the angle iron. We then welded up a base frame using 1 1/4" x 1/8" angle iron (44" to tal length), so it actually hangs over the back side of the drawer sides but it will give me more room to get things closer when the slide is pulled all the way out. taped off the slides and painted all the metal and then added a 3/4" sheet of plywood, (which I had already carpeted) to the base frame. Lastly I added some saddles to keep the grill from sliding around . I have included pictures of most of the steps. It works great and looks pretty good too.

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
2023 Ford Broncos Bad lands Toad
Columbia, SC

Very nice looking job!

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile