You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Alaska Newell Questions for winter

Cold weather here in Alaska is around the corner, I was wondering if anyone here had issues with the rubber slideout seals freezing then sticking in negitive temps? Example would be your car door rubber seals freezing your door shut. Frankly I think this would cause some major damage to the rubber seals. Going to have an estimate done to see how much it would cost to have an aircraft cowling and wing cover shop fab up slide "socks" to protect the slides and seals in the upcomming winter. Any other Newell owners up here in Alaska? 

Jesse White 2001 Newell #582

Jesse, If you are going to turn your coach OFF and allow it to cold soak. Be sure to winterize your fresh water system. Doing so will winterize the Aqua Hot fresh water copper tubing loop. A frozen fresh water loop that will split is a death sentence for the heater unless you have exceptional mechinical skills.

If the coach is left ON, the Aqua Hot can keep the entire coach from freezing. But you will need grid power and diesel in the tank.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Going to keep it going and heated throughout the winter, however i am still worried about those rubber seals around the slides on the outside sticking and freezing to the coach making the coach unusable. 0 to -20 is standard fare and not out the question for a few days to reach -50 for the winter. Its going to be an adventure.

I cannot give advise for Alaskan winter but I apply Nu-vinyl or silicone to the seals of my vehicles to weather-proof them.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I think I will pursue a dual approach to the issue, first install Tom's vacuum pump mod for the slide out seals to ensure they fully pull back from the slide before pulling the slides in or out. Second go ahead with the exterior slide seal covers, which I will post pictures of while they are being made and tested.

Jesse

Jesse,
One Guru built a cover for the R1 compartment and used a small space heater to keep the 110 volt compressor from freezing. The heated air made its way through the generator blower hole into the generator box where the 110 compressor is located.
Your year of coach may be different. I didn't see that info in your signature.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

Do you anticipate having to open or close your slides often in that extreme weather?
I would think the worse situation would be where freezing rain would accumulate on the rubber seals before operating the slides.
You could always close the slides before a freezing rain. The slide seals would still be exposed but I don't think it would hurt them unless you try to deflate them with an accumulation of ice.
You're a brave man, sir. Alaska is beautiful but don't think I'd want to spend the winters there in a Newell or even a cabin.
There is a couple who just moved to Alaska around Wasilla and will be living in their Discovery. Look for them on Facebook: Pau Hana Ohana

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I didn't move my slide in zero temps even with the vacuum pump install. Make sure the heaters in the water bay and aquahot bay work as well as the aquahot itself. The biggest problem I encountered was moisture in my air supply froze and my air doors and toilet didn't work. The humidity in Louisiana contributed to my situation. I later learned that I had eight air tanks instead of the three I could see. Heating R1 or L1, whichever gives access to your 110v compressor will help. Keep some air brake airline antifreeze in stock and you can pour it in the hose coming off your engine compressor if it freezes up.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Alaska winters have a lot of wind which blows snow into all possiable openings and during the fall and spring time the flux in the temp will melt the snow then refreeze quickly in a repeating fashion so closing up your slides is really not an option as its not a predictiable occurance. I would like to use my motorhome as a motorhome thus continue using and driving it during the winter from the Mat-Su valley to Fairbanks and down to the Kenai and Homer and maybe even Artic Man this year. My old 97 Country Coach did very well in the winter although I had no slides to contend with, even in Alaska so I figure the Newell will perform just as nice...maybe even better! I will heat the R1 bay to ensure the 110 pump wont freeze.

Jesse White 2001Newell

The 220v element in the Aquahot will help a bunch, cudos to Newell for having two elements for all these years. I was stationary so no comparison. When the airlines freeze the compressor will pop off loudly like a shotgun!

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458