You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

older newell air bags

Hi people. I am getting ready for a 2 month trip in the newell and am getting all the maintenace done for the trip
and new air bags all around was on my list since this is #248 from 1991 i am sure they should be replaced. I started with the Tag axel air bags and had no problem getting them with the information from this site I knew what to buy. The installation went nice. The drive axel and steer axel air bags did not work out so good. I removed a bag from the front so I would get the correct bags. The number was Goodyear 1R11-066 so two months ago I called to find them.  SDTRUCKSPRINGS.COM said they could get them so I ordered and paid for them. Now it has been a month and 1/2 and they have not been able to get them. I am not blaiming them because it is Goodyear that is not getting them the bags. Maybe it is Covid, Employee problems or maybe Goodyear is just waiting tell they get a big enough order to make it worth there will to make them. I am running out of time since I leave in 3 weeks so i saw a set on Ebay and I called them. They did not realy have them but could get them from Goodyear. OK that won't work. Next I called Newell and talked to a friendly girl and she said send her a picture.  OK i did that and did not hear back. I called 2 more times and nobody gets back to me so I don't think Newell can supply bags for these older units. My only Hope is SS truck springs get them before I leave so I will have spares to bring with. What I am trying to get across here is start way in advance for air bag replacement. The only good thing is my old bags did not look that bad but since i blew a front tire I am scared about anything rubber.  Here is a good thing. I replaced my old Magnatec power converter with a Intel Power PD9270 and it works perfect. Gone is the hum in the Stereo and TV. It engine starts with gusto and much faster so recommend this unit.  Thanks for reading my long story.

1991  #248  Ex Al Unser Jr

Post some photos of that rig. That orange is something else!

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Stengel Bros show the Goodyear in stock , doubtful but worth a try . Firestone cross is W013589447.
Good luck. 
Nice looking coach !

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Hi People!  Well I never did find drive axle and steering axle air bags for my trip. I was only able to find and replace the Tag axle bags. I have Ordered and Paid for bags from SD TRUCK SPRINGS and Michigan Truck Springs so when they finally come I will have plenty. The wife and I decided to go for it and try the trip on the old bags and if we have to have it hauled home we will.  We just returned home and had a great trip.  3500 miles and the motor home performed flawless.  95 degree weather climbing the mountains of Montana and it never over heated. Strangely I got 7 miles Per gallon which I expected 5 1/2 I never went over 65 except to pass a semi once.  I only burned 1 quart of oil.  The 8V92 started rite off every morning. That's the good part now here is the best part. The wife has never been a big fan of the Newell because my 40K good deal i told her i got on the unit turned into $145K after I put in new carpet, had the upholstery redone, a queen size bed, new TVs,  glass top electric range, Fixed the basement air and since we live at the ocean half the year I had to build a garage to keep it out of the salt air.  So you can see she sees this thing as a money pit and is always telling me I should sell it. But something changed on this trip. After spending 2 months in it she fell in love with it and is telling me now I can't sell it and is looking forward to next years big trip. I ask her what gives. Her answer was the ride is so smooth, the seat is the best she has set in and there is so much room. Who would have guessed.

love your story,

glad it all turned out well

would like to see pictures of your garage you did for it

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Hi Tom.  I added 2 picture to my profile. I think a got it rite.  Mike