You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air leak down detector

I'll post a picture of the tool that I copied from Tom. Tool allows you to isolate individual sections of your air system to determine if that section has a leak.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thanks Steve, I want to install one. Do you happen to have a photo of the upper connection?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester,
Where you put it is determined by where you think you have a leak. I believe I have a leak somewhere in the right rear. The white air line, that is attached to the tool on the right in the picture, is normally attached to the right rear leveling port on the rear six pack. The black air line from the left side of the tool is now hooked to the right side leveling port on the back of the rear six pack where the white line normally attaches. It will tell me whether there is a leak in the right side leveling system. If no leaks here I will move it. It is just a temporary installation. Richard's post, earlier in this thread, gave an outstanding logical approach to using this tool. I hope this answers your questions. If not pm me & I'll send you my phone number.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Now, if you really wanted an over the top fixture, then put an air gauge on both sides of the valve. That would tells you without a doubt which side of the lvalve the leak was on.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard always has good ideas. I was going to turn it around next, but that is a better idea. Thanks Richard.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

my comment after using it now is the same as richards. i should have put a gauge on both sides. mine right now is just on the airbag/tank side.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Just recently I replaced & plumbed my old check valve and relief valve of the compressor with the metal new type one from Canada , not sure what I did but now we have our compressor kick in in the 2,5 hrs intervals !!! ( before every 40 minutes ) We love it! when you full timing its makes huge diference when you use lot of air all theu long!

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Fulltime on the road hub base in Montana

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
security system 2 Rhodesians Ridgebacks (Basha & M'Kala)
Nissan Exterra 2007
Co-Motion "Robusta" tandem
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

Guys I haven't tried this idea on the Newell, but my leak detector would be much different from the ones with gauges. I would want something that could detect a very small leak and quickly tell me in which direction the gas was leaking. It would have just three valves and a U shaped clear tubing. The tubing would be about half full of water with the bottom of the U the lowest point of the device. There would be a vlave at the top of each leg of the U and another valve between the top of each leg. One would install the device with all valves closed. Then open the center valve and let the system stabilize. Open the other two valves and then close the top one. If there is a leak, bubbles will move through the U tube and the direction of the bubbles will indicate the direction of the leak. The result will be basically instantenous, no waiting over night. You could move from connection to connection at a rapid pace and get the job done. I did look at McMaster and getting clear tubing with pressure ratings above 100 psi is not difficult. Too bad my coach doesn't leak - wink!
Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Don't tell the EPA but I heard of a fellow that put R-134 in his air system and used a refrigerant sniffer to look for leaks. Rumor has it that I'd didn't work any better than soapy water.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I think that I am almost ready to take my training wheels off.  Here is my version of leak finder tool. Cant wait to try it!

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama