You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Bags are done!

Thanks to everyone who helped out from sourcing the proper bags, to wrenches needed, to tips and tricks to make the process flow smoothly.  All in all was a pretty painless process when you factor all of that help.  

Only thing that didn't go as planned was the nice little tire dolly I ordered made it to St. Louis and instead of getting on the delivery truck it made a trip to California instead, so I had to wrangle a few tires, but they were not too bad.  One thing I did want to clarify from earlier posts is that with the new steer axle bags that have a smaller inlet the correct adapter was in fact:

3/4 Male JIC to 1/4 male NPT Straight.  One Hydraulics had them for around $25.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

were the old front bags you took off have the same 3/4" inlet?

thanks

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Old bags had the 3/4 inlet and the new bags are 1/4.

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

thanks

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Well this is going to be interesting. The effect of using a 1/4 opening in the top of the air bag will be to negate the 1 inch hose connected to the frame tank. The purpose of this is to soften the spring rate of the air spring. But for that effect the air has to move quickly between the tank and the bag. That will not happen with the 1/4 opening. I honestly don’t know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

So, Brad, when you take the coach for a test spin, will you let us know if you feel any difference in the side to side sway, or the jolt of potholes?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Took at 30 minute drive last night and didn't notice any difference at all so far. Road to my storage unit is horrendous and it felt as good or better. Will give it a little longer drive tomorrow and report back. I can for sure say that airing up the coach, etc. which I did several times as I was working on the rear bags the front came up right away with the rear. I know that's a different issue that while driving and making quick changes, but nonetheless it wasn't one of those things where the rear came right up and the front was lagging way behind when you went to raise on all four corners.

Edit: Took a second drive to get a few more miles on before a re-torque on my lugs and it performed great.

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO