You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

COLD DOWNDRAFT in BEDROOM

We've been battling this for a year now, and really can't figure it out  We have a 2015 and the bedroom window is the openable Louvre with emergency exit.

Whenever the outside temp gets below 40, we really feel a chill pouring down onto our heads in bed.  I've looked at sources above the shade and have even stuffed batting into the 3 small access holes.  Didn't help.  You can physically feel the cold air sheeting down.

The other day, I had a conversation with a 2020 owner, who said he's never had a problem even when in sub-0 temps!

The only thing I can think of, is that the R value on our coach is a lot worse than the newer ones.  But, I've not heard any confirmation, and Newell says "gee, it shouldn't happen".

So, maybe some of you have experienced the same, or can at least comment on "why", before I try to figure the next step, like replace the entire window.

Thanks.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

Try using some smoke to see if you can visually identify the source.

Get an incense stick and watch the smoke.

At dusk with a bright flashlight (two people one outside with flashlight one inside looking for light) ….check that the slide seal is tight all around the slide.

From outside the coach, do you have any vents near the bedroom?  Maybe the vent door is opening.

After watching lots of coaches in various stages of construction, I am not aware of any changes in construction in the past few years that would affect R value.

One last thought….  You could get an IR camera for your iPhone and look for drafts directly.   IR camera. I have this one and it works really well…tho I have not tried it for this application.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Good suggestions, guys. I thought about a thermal camera, but forgot about one for my iPhone. Man, I hope it’s NOT the seal though!

One thing that has me concerned is that dropping the shade doesn’t seem to help.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

So, interesting. It’s snowing and I checked the emergency exit window and saw water dripping down the inside! As I inspected it by opening and closing, I felt the window hitting the frame before the seals engage. Ah ha. Additionally? The kids behind us were playing and screaming in the snow which made a very good “audio” leak detectable.

So, I’m guessing those window gaskets are the culprit. Of course, having all that extra aluminum framing surely doesn’t help either.

Nothing like a little “crude” technology. ?

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA