You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Headhunter pump problems

Yeah but I can't run for five minutes without the pump cutting off. I cannot detect any bubbles entering the system nor do I see any water leak. Larry, I have tried to clear the air out of system, but never for that long. When I get home and can get on city water, I will try that.

As far as pressure....It goes from around 65 with no water running, jumps up to 75 when the pump is running but when pump momentarily cuts off it goes to zero and then jumps back up to 75.

I am thinking the pressure or flow switches have gone bad in pump. Is there a good place to buy new pump? Do you guys carry spare pumps on your coach? I am considering getting a new pump and sending this one back to headhunter to be repaired.

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Can yo u run the 12v pump to purge the air

Richard found a cheaper replacement

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I am having similar problems with my pump (have not had any problems to speak of). We turn on the pump get good pressure as long as we needed for a shower or whatever. If we wait a while and turn on a spigot we get nothing. In order to get the pump going again we have to shut the switch in the kitchen off and back on... I will try the purging to check.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

I doubt if your problem is related to air in the line.  Why would the pressure be fine for a shower, then stop?

I had the same experience you described, about a year ago.  Pump worked, then didn't.  Turning power off, then on, seemed to make it work but only for a while. Called Newell, described the problem - solution:  new pressure switch for mach 5 pump.  Cost from Newell, August 2014 was $125 plus S&H.  Took 20 minutes at most to replace.  Remove 4 screws that hold the control panel cover, disconnect the small plug and unscrew old pressure switch.  Reverse steps to install new switch.  That's it!

By the way,  I have never used my city water line to fill the tank.  Never any problem with air in the tank by filling from the top, of course I don't wait until the tank is almost empty.  I refill when my water level is down to about 1/4.  Have done it this way for 3 years with no problem.  I follow John Clark's advice:  "Use it or Lose it"

Also, I kept the old pressure switch.  It is basically a micro switch with spring.  If I can find it I wiil post a picture.  

Hope this helps.  Jerry B

Jerry & Barb Bommarito
Former Custodians of the "Rolling R Ranch"
Newell Coach #500 

O.K.  I found the old switch.  Took some pictures for those who are curious.

In one of the photos you will see a round "plunger" which is pushed on by the water pressure.  There is a "white" rubber seal to keep the micro switch dry.  The micro switch is held in place by 2 little posts.  Also, note there is an adjustment for the spring which exerts pressure on the plunger at the top of the switch housing, under a rubber grommet.  (I tried adjusting it when I experienced my problem, but it didn't help.  I believe the plastic plunger may have developed wear from use and was hanging up.  Just a guess, as the switch still made contact when I tested it with my multi-meter.)

One last note:  Back in August of 2014 - when I experienced my water pump problem, I called Headhunter about my situation.  When I told them my pumps serial number, the guy said: "That pump is too old, we don't have parts for it, but we are having a special!  You can buy a new pump for ..."   I told him I would consider it, then called Newell. (Should have called them first!)  I forget the plumbing techs name, but as soon as I described my problem he said: It's you water pressure switch.  He transferred me to Chuck in parts.  I had the part the next day!! PROBLEM SOLVED.   With service like that, I will always call Newell first.  For my money, if it costs a bit more, so be it.... just my opinion.  

Happy New Year to all.  See you on the road.  Jerry B

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jerry & Barb Bommarito
Former Custodians of the "Rolling R Ranch"
Newell Coach #500 

Thanks for the update and pictures! This helps a lot! I will call Newell about the problem and see what they suggest. $125+SH for high pressure water = priceless!
I did do the purge for about two minutes with all taps running and we did not have any further problem but like all things it will probably not get better over time...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Well, here's a follow-up on the pressure switch discussion. I had the same on and off issues to reboot the Headhunter at the switch so put in a new pressure switch about 4 wks ago and it worked fine for about a week. Called Headhunter and went through the history and Scott in parts was sure it had to be an air leak. I assured him the system had not been opened.
I have been filling the tank from the 1/4 point via the upper fast fill and now use the Shurflow. The Headhunter is a 2018, but used 3yrs. Could the fast fill be putting air in the system? I don't really want to send the Headhunter in for them to do a bench test.

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Tow 2017 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)