You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Headhunter pump problems

I got a lesson on my Headhunter pump while I was at Newell last week. I had the Sequence Valve in my Microphor toilet replaced for the third time in about 3 months. In case you have never been told... NEVER turn on the Headhunter, and the City Water valve at the same time. The pressure will shoot up to over 100psi, and blow up the Sequence valve. Newell replaced all 3 times at no cost to me, because they did not tell me not to do that. Those puppies are around 250.00 each, plus labor at 110.00 per hour (4 hours).

Coach Name: Hakuna Matata, 2005 Coach 722 47' Quad Slide, DD Series 60, Allison 6 Speed, Featherlite Toy Hauler

you can run the small pump with city water but not the headhunter, by the way I told you that while we were at newell

Rolleyes Ashley Pardue Coach 589

I am confused. I have a pressure regulator on the hose bib that I connect city water to. I no longer use city water, rather I just fill the tank at the top and always run the pump. But, before I started doing that, I would always run city water / and the pump. Never a problem, and I am pretty sure Newell did not tell me differently. (I bought coach at Newell and they spent a day with me explaining everything).

So...if city water will kill your microphone, then what is point of having the pressure regulator?

Inquiring minds want to know!

cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

bill,

at least on mine, the built in pressure regulator is right where the city water hose connection comes in the coach and is before the headhunter.

but maybe someone who is an expert in water flow can comment how the headhunter and city water can cause a pressure combining. seems like the pressure cut off switch in the headhunter should prevent high pressures, but maybe it is like a LRA with current. a spike.

richard or michael, care to weigh in?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Rather than a 'pressure combining' problem, the downside of using the Headhunter in conjunction with city water is the flow capability of the Headhunter. Many RV Parks run VERY HIGH pressure to make up for inadequate flow. Headhunter recommends solid suction pipe rather than flexible suction pipe. If the RV Park has inadequate flow, it would be easy for the Headhunter to pull a suction and collapse the water hose connecting the water bib to the coach. Add an inline filter, which Headhunter cautions against, and you have a recipe for problems. The Headhunter has a maximum pressure shut off of 67 psi but at a discharge pressure of 30 psi it will pump 16 gallons per minute. I have been in RV parks that didn't flow 16 gpm from the faucet.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

My owners manual from Newell suggest running the water pump when connected to city water to maintain pressure. Even so, I think Michael hit the nail on the head. To verify if a collapsed white water hose is the problem, why not connect a water pressure gauge to the city faucet to confirm if the pressure is adequate. I replaced my Newell installed 110v pump with a Shurflo and I am satisfied with the pressure at 45 pounds. I leave it on even when connected to city water, and thus far not problem. Hope this helps.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Gang,

This problem has come back! I have plenty of water and have tried the priming technique that Headhunter suggests. My pump will start, and run for about 12 seconds then go to zero and immediately start again. If I keep the water on, after about 5 minutes of cycling, the pump will go into alarm and turn off. At that point if I cycle the Main pump switch in the galley, it will turn on again, but continue to cycle.

The factory says that I need a new pump, but I am not so sure. There are NO obvious water leaks and cannot detect any air getting into the system.

What now?

Thanks!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

do you have any way of plumbing a pressure gauge into the system to see what is going on with the pressure?

it could be the pressure sensor in the pump that is wacko

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Subaru Outback Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(10-21-2015, 04:57 PM)Richard Wrote:  do you have any way of plumbing a pressure gauge into the system to see what is going on with the pressure?

it could be the pressure sensor in the pump that is wacko

All you have to do is buy a hosebib pressure gauge at home depot for ten bucks and put it on the hose bib in the water bay and open the valve

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Your problem could be aerated water and you may try bleeding all your inside lines and let the pump run and bleed the air out for a full 5 min. This can happen when filling the water tank from the upper manual fill ports and the water from any source can do this.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border