You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Building a Bed

Hi,

as my coach was a race coach used for and office and meet and greet, it had a very nice super long sectional couch on the slide. since darlene and i dont like sleeping on a couch, i had to build a bedroom.

there was also a desk opposite the couch that i removed.

a buddy of mine built the bed for me. he is a master craftsman. after seeing the beds at newell and looking at a few others, mine looks like a newell bed but is built like a super tank. it is wayyy more structural than the way newell makes it. and it comes apart to be able to get at the access panel for the flat floor slide.

i have yet to finish putting the carpet and linear actuator on the inside but the basic bed is done. i did lesser curves on the corners.

i am a big guy. 6' 2 1/2" and 275 so i dont want no short bed. so we made a cal king sized bed (minus 2 inches in length) so it is 72inches wide and 82 inches long.

yea that makes it hard to walk around the end when the slide is in, but with the way the cabinets are that would be that way anyway.

we had a custom made latex foam mattress made with the matching radius for the corners...actually bigger to match the arc as it sticks out. it overhangs a few inches.

we love the bed and need to finish the nightstands now. since my slide seems to be longer than most of the bedroom slides there is over 2 feet between the edge of the bed and the wall on each side.

i bought the super expensive slippery special plastic in 1/2" to put on the bottom to make the bed glide on the floor. got it at a local plastic supplier UHMW.

i had some water damage on the back wall of the slide so i took that wall out and replaced it and then covered it with the same laminate i used on the bed.

couldnt get the same laminate that was in the coach. so i got the same pattern as the columns only a dark gray rather than a black gray.

it looks really nice if i dont say so myself.

here are the pictures.

darlene custom made the mattress pad, sheets and blanket. she has not made the bedspread yet so we used a quilt on the trip.

of course if you know darlene, our pillows have our names embroidered on them.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Can't wait to see what you will do for nightstands. That will complete a terrific transition to a bedroom.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Nice- since it is dark in our bedroom- might have Brenda make our pillows in Braille? Good job. Ernie in Tenn without the Boss

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

my cabinet maker is coming by tuesday to get started on the nightstands.

he specializes in laminate so i am looking forward to what he can do.

my goal is to copy exactly the style, construction quality and look of the newell nightstands that many of you have shared pictures of. i have the latches, chrome trim and laminate already.

should be fun.

tom

Post photos of the progress on the build. The final touch to your bedroom conversion is underway.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

darlene and i have been working on how to make the headboard and redo the window box/valence. we figured out we needed to have it done or planned out before the night tables are made.

so my buddy garry (thanks garry) came over and supervised the event of darlene and i debating how to do it. we have figured out how to do it and now just need to get started on it.

gonna be some work, but will turn out cool.

will post pictures as we go

tom