You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Passenger front air bag not working

Quickest way to get back on the road is to jumper Terminal 67 to 12v +. You have a voltage issue. This is the quickest way to resolve.

Tom is correct, all four travel solenoids are fed from terminal 67 so they should all have the same voltage

Is engine running? 80 psi is NOT enough to raise the front end, you need at least 90.

EDIT My bad!, there is no terminal 75, 67 is the travel solenoid terminal.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard, I don’t see terminal 75 on the HWH control board diagrams - not sure where it would be located…

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Just made the edit. MY bad, it is terminal 67

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

The plot thickens. I have two different sets of diagrams from HWH for supposedly the same control system. One labels the terminal 75 and the other labels the terminal 67. Here is a picture so you know physically which one we are talking about. The terminal is circled in red

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

So........

Later in the day, Adrian hotwired the travel solenoids. It didn't help. He confirmed 13V at the Packard connector to the solenoid. He then switched coils to eliminate a bad coil. No change.

He then simply bypassed the six pack by connecting the in and out lines from the Height Control Valve to the air bags. He is back in business with this patch.

I think there is a possible cause that we had not considered, and he will confirm when not in an RV park. He may have a ground problem with all the solenoids at the front six pack. It is easy to forget about grounding on any 12V system. It explains why he gets 13V at the solenoid but no solenoid action. He is checking the hot lead on the Packard connector with the positive probe and grounding the neg probe on the frame. Diagnostic step one will be to measure voltage at the Packard connector using both the hot and ground in the Packard. A bad ground could explain the flaky nature of his front leveling system behavior. It did not make any sense when he hotwired the travel solenoids that they did not work, until we consider a bad ground as a possiblity.

To be continued.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Thanks (again) to Richard and Tom for helping me through this issue! We were able to get the coach back home successfully with no incidents and the slides are all working well now. I will try to get over to the storage building this afternoon and test as Richard state above.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Great work gentlemen. I am so bad at electrical issues and this is a great reminder to us verify the ground also. Good read !

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

I tested the ground to the solenoid and it looks like the ground is bad.
I tested by connecting up a good, known ground and a good positive lead to one of the solenoids and DID energize and it held a small drill driver bit with gusto. I tested each of the solenoids with this procedure and they all show GOOD magnetism.
So now I need to track down the ground in all the wiring in the HWH bay. I did notice there is a large lug with a bolt into the chassis so that may be pay dirt right there. I think I can disconnect the ground wire and then check continuity to the Packard connectors - will test it out and see this morning.
I made a video and here is the link to it on FaceTube: https://www.facebook.com/groups/27590443...210865146/

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

I am glad you found a root cause. Both times the front sixpack was a problem for you, the testing results were always perplexing.

I haven't specifically looked at the wiring on the six pack for ground, but I am guessing that you will find the ground wires from all the Packards terminate in one place. I would cut out any and all splices and connectors in the existing wiring and go back with new heat shrink connectors.

Also look at the upper left corner of the control box on the outside of the box. You will find a number of grounds attached right there. My wiring is white. That may be problem connection. Or a splice somewhere where Newell bonded the six ground wires from the six pack into one.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

I turned on the ignition key and connected a ground wire to the chassis. I found that the packard connector coming from the chassis had voltage on BOTH pins. Could this indicate a short somewhere? I am still trying to track down the ground for these wires and I think the ground *should* be the white wires since that is the common color on all the Packard connectors. I traced the wire loom through the firewall (it is way up in the top of the compartment and hard to see but I’m pretty sure it dives into the HWH bay and disappears into all the bundles of wiring… I have a wire chaser (at home) that can track down wiring and might try it on the wires (without the key being on so it is not energized) and might try it later to help find the ground wires in the bundles.

Karen & Adrian Abshire