You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Passenger front air bag not working

I FINALLY found the GROUND! It is on TOP of the HWH computer control box - the little screw was LOOSE! I tightened it down and now the solenoids are magnetized and you can definitely hear them click closed!
I still had the air hoses tied together in travel mode (not connected to the 6-pack manifold), now the problem is that when I pulled the air hoses off I failed to mark them or strap the driver/passenger sides together! So now I get to go through the motions of 16 different possible combinations of the hoses to get them correct.
Air will exhaust out the bottom of the manifold so LOWER should not be an issue.
RAISE and TRAVEL mode will be an issue as I have to figure out:
1) which hose goes to the PASSENGER side of the manifold (one for the connector closest to the FRONT of the coach)
2) which hose goes to the PASSENGER side of the manifold (one for the connector closest to the HWH bay)
3) which hose goes to the DRIVER side of the manifold (one for the connector closest to the FRONT of the coach)
4) which hose goes to the DRIVER side of the manifold (one for the connector closest to the HWH bay)
I think that is correct.
Then I will have to make sure my solenoids are going to the correct 12-volt Packard connector for each air bag/side/raise

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

So I cranked up the engine and waited for the air to come up. The coach was all the way down at this point (I had expelled all the air out of the system when I disconnected/reconnected up the air hoses). I put the coach into travel mode and it started slowly raising until the front was about 4” above the tires - this seems to me like it would be in all RAISE mode but at least it went UP. Then I tried LOWERing (letting air out) of the driver front air bag and it popped but did not continue blasting air out - is this normal? I’m not sure I know what ‘normal’ working airbags sound or look like any more :-(
I will get Karen to come help me diagnose the wiring to be sure I have the correct sides connected to the correct Packard connectors and also the left/right air hoses.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

So I got help from my wife and the RAISE function is working for both sides correctly
Current Air system updates:
Driver raise works
Driver lower working
Pass raise works
Pass lower good voltage at packard conn; pops and then stops
Driver travel not sure - is not moving up/down
Pass travel not sure - is not moving up/down
Need to figure out why the Passenger LOWER is not working correctly. Checked voltage on the Packard Connector and it is over 12v and enough to make the solenoid click. The solenoid activates for about 1 second and then stops working - no air is released in or out.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

adrian...

remember driver and pass travel solenoid put air into a T that goes to one ride height valve.

for your passenger lower.....you have 12v all the time when you are pushing the button for it or it stops putting out 12v?

if there is no air in the bag, it will click and no more air will be escaped.

those coils almost NEVER go bad (because of my kits, i have dealt with hundreds of six packs), but is possible, but not likely since you have played with so much. the passenger lower will not put air in as you know. only let air out if it is energized and has air in the bag.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks Tom, the pass lower solenoid wire is showing 12v as long as the button is held. The solenoid clicks when the button is pushed (and held) but then it stop doing anything. I’m thinking the solenoid is fine it is probably the way I have the air hoses configured that is messing things up. Karen is going to help me test the hoses when she finally gets off the phone lol
Newell said they have a device to help with diagnosing the air hose connections to the 6-pack but they didn’t have time to explain it…

BTW, is the only reason for having a driver/pass travel solenoid just for the volume of air since they both go to a single ride height valve?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

I think I was able to determine the correct air lines going to the 6-pack manifold but coach is not raising on one side. Will test more in the morning but I think it’s very close.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

I can help you figure out the air lines if you will follow these instructions exactly.

I am assuming that you still have the six pack out from under the coach, and you are in no danger if the coach lowers all the way.

Disconnect all four air lines.
Turn on the 120V pump, turn the key on, and press the travel button on the HWH panel.
You will soon feel or hear air coming from TWO of the air lines. Turn the pump off and connect those two air lines to the six pack in the two positions that will be closest to the bulk head or screw holes for mounting to the bulk head. It does not matter right or left because those two airlines are teed at the HCV as Tom said.

After the air lines are connected, turn the 120V compressor on, turn the key back on, put the coach into level mode, and have your helper press the passenger up button. You will soon feel air coming from one of the two ports on the back of the six pack. Connect either of the air lines to the port. You have a 50% chance of getting it right. If the passenger front starts to raise, then you have it right. If not, disconnect that air line, and connect the remaining one. Confirm the passenger side starts to raise. Connect the last air line to the six pack in the only open port.

Take the time to run the HWH panel through the functions, and using a screwdriver or steel washer confirm you have the solenoids wired correctly. You should have determined left and right in the exercise above. Down solenoids are the middle ones. Travel solenoids are the closest to the bulkhead.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard! We pretty much did what you were saying earlier this afternoon and I think it is working but was just too tired to test it all. I’ll run by tomorrow and try it again when Karen gets there.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

Hi Richard,
So I did as you asked and here are the results:
Disconnect all four air lines - DONE
Turn on the 120V pump, turn the key on, and press the travel button on the HWH panel. DONE
You will soon feel or hear air coming from TWO of the air lines. DONE
Turn the pump off and connect those two air lines to the six pack in the two positions that will be closest to the bulk head or screw holes for mounting to the bulk head. It does not matter right or left because those two airlines are teed at the HCV as Tom said. DONE

After the air lines are connected, turn the 120V compressor on, turn the key back on, put the coach into level mode, and have your helper press the passenger up button. You will soon feel air coming from one of the two ports on the back of the six pack. Connect either of the air lines to the port. You have a 50% chance of getting it right. If the passenger front starts to raise, then you have it right. If not, disconnect that air line, and connect the remaining one. Confirm the passenger side starts to raise. Connect the last air line to the six pack in the only open port. DONE

Take the time to run the HWH panel through the functions, and using a screwdriver or steel washer confirm you have the solenoids wired correctly. You should have determined left and right in the exercise above. Down solenoids are the middle ones. Travel solenoids are the closest to the bulkhead. DONE

We checked the raise/lower on left/right and then into travel mode and everything looks like it is working perfectly! Can’t wait to drive it later this afternoon!
Thank you again Richard and Tom!!! You guys are the best!

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

Adrian, I just felt that starting from ground zero was going to be quicker than trying to noodle out the combinations of connection possibilities using the coach behavior. Glad you are back in business.

You might suggest to your bride that a label maker for the coach would be a nice stocking stuffer. Just sayin……..

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )