You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Finding Air Leaks with AMPROBE ULD-405

After reading about all the different methods and tools, along with the advice of a local mechanic, I decided to pop for the Amprobe ULD-405 Ultrasonic Leak Detector.  I have tried a cheap one on Amazon, but didn't like the quality, nor did I trust it.

I made a short video to talk about it, if you're interested:

https://youtu.be/_Z15V0CGS1Q

Safe Travels and Warm Holiday Wishes!

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

Thanks,

Most of us with the Infinicon would agree that the readout function is worthless. However, most of have learned to us the Infinicon with earbuds to locate a leak.

Do you mind commenting on the differences you observed between the two?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Hi Richard.

Well, I'm afraid I can't be super specific with the reasons I returned the Infinicon. However, as you stated, the unit's meter didn't cut the mustard. I recall the battery tray being flimsy and/or not securely holding the battery. And, as I ran some tests on known airleaks, such as opening a compressor valve, I really didn't feel confident that it was a selective tool.

After seeing my mechanic use, and endorse his older Amprobe, I pondered for months until deciding it's just an investment I needed to make.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thank you.
Steve

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

Very good video. 

The Inficon whisper has served me well for about 12 years.  I have found hundreds of air leaks on my coach and friend's coaches.  I never turn my back on a better mouse trap though.  Also I don't depend on only the leak detector, as I have a whole tool box of leak detection tools.  They are explained in the tool section of the forum.

Let us know your real life success in finding air leaks with the Amprobe and how air tight you get your coach.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thanks @"rheavn" Steve, I’ll check your tools out! This is one just one of those tools I hope I don’t need…again. ?

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

So I have been checking reviews on both devices on Amazon and neither really get stellar ratings. I usually settle for a minimum of 74% or higher. Seems as if both devices are prone to background noises from interference electrically and environmentally. Decisions, decisions... I do have to inspect for leaks on my coach but wondering if flooding them out with soapy water might be the trick.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Steve, my response to your comment “This is just one of those tools I hope I don’t need” is, are you planning on selling your Newell soon?

Air leaks are the one common denominator for Newell owners. Once you replace all the push on fittings with compression fittings, they will greatly diminish.

Simon, a lot of us use the kids bubble solution found at Dollar General or the like. It seems to make bigger bubbles that last longer than Dawn. I also learned a very neat trick from @"Latitude 28" . Use a sponge and foam up the bubble solution. Paint the fitting with the foam. Cuts down on the mess, and finds tiny leaks.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Simon. You are welcome to come and borrow my infinite to try and see if you want to own one

BTW, I bought a decent pair of over the ear enclosed headlight use with it

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks Tom. I am sure you meant to say Headphones! At this rate, I may end up getting the coach back hopefully before Christmas. I put a call to Morgan to ask him about the suspension shop trying to reach them. I stopped by said shop today and showed them the battery disconnects and warned them not to jump start it and instead slow charge the batteries with the disconnect switches off. Poor coach was kneeling down on the front tires and looked abandoned. They did not have a way to plug the coach in. For now, I shut the thing down to preserve whatever juice is left in the new batteries. We are on week 3

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312