You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hello!

Hello!

I have been browsing the forum for a few weeks being shy and decided it was time to say hello. We are in Central FL, serious Newell and Foretravel enthusiasts but have only owned travel trailers and 5th wheels in past. I just recently realized that I really love the older Newell coaches, especially the 1986 to 1992-3 models!  I stumbled across the gurus trying to find specs for a coach and WOW have I learned a ton already.

For now we are in the learning stage……especially what is involved in maintaining these beasts! And if the 8v92 is really as intimidating as it seems LOL! 

THANKS for letting us hang out here to learn and thank you all for sharing such fantastic information &  knowledge!!

Kat

Evan & Kat
2015 Grand Design Momemtum 328m
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax w/Allison Transmission
Hopeful Newell owner in the near future

Welcome Kat. If you are willing to do some maintenance yourself a Newell in that age range can be a real pleasure. Mechanics that know the 8V92 well are getting harder to find. The fortunate thing is they don't need all that much work that requires a mechanic. It is imperative to get an accurate digit thermometer for the rear radiator and keep that radiator clean on the outside. Overheating is one of the biggest issues for those older Detroits. Check the oil and the coolant level in the radiator every day of travel and don't overfill the oil. Keep the hoses in good shape and NEVER let it get over about 204 degrees and they are a workhorse. Keep the engine speed up on long hills and it the temperature starts getting too hot, immediately pull over and keep the engine running at a fast speed to rapidly cool down the engine. If you don't drive in the mountains during the summer very often, it really shouldn't be an issue but long steep grades are cause to watch the gauge closely (the dash analog gauges are not very accurate).

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

You might want to also check the air compressor coolant lines as they are a weak spot if they are old and brittle. Look this up online and you will find many articles about this issue. I would HIGHLY recommend having them checked before you drive it very far - if they break you lose ALL your coolant very fast and kill the engine :-(

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Welcome Kat & Evan.
This site is flat out AWESOME and the GURUs more so!
We're in Central FL as well; over on the east coast.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

Welcome to the the group!

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Welcome. Ask, contribute, grow, and enjoy.

Welcome !
Good advice from Fulltiming and Pairodice . The 8V92 is a beast , but a friendly one as long as it's needs are attended to . Good luck in your search .
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand