You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Considering a 2000 Newell

We have been on the hunt for a “classic coach” in the 2004-2008 time. Ran across a really sharp 2000 Newell.  They have not really been on our radar going to look at it later this week any help on what to consider that could be more Newell specific issues that only Newell owners know about.  Is 2000 a good year?  What about electronics any issues there?  Radiator issues? Suspension?  We would really appreciate any feedback the gurus can lend we really like it but just don’t know the brand and that makes us nervous… FYI we have had several rigs Monaco’s and Country Coach and after the Entegra decided we needed to go back to a better era in build quality… Thanks in advance for your knowledge…

There were only incremental changes in Newells between the late 1990's and the early 2000's. The front cap was revised beginning with the last 1999. Most coaches in that range had the Detroit Series 60 and the Allison World Transmission. Each year, Newells have gotten a little more complex. In model year 2000, most had 2 or 3 slides. By 2004 most had 4 slides with a few 3 slide coaches.

The 2004-2008 period was one of significant changes, suspension change from the Ridewell IFS, which had been used since 1997, to the ZF with steerable tag during the 2004 model year, slides changed from HWH (hydraulic) to Valid (electric) during the 2003 model year, a couple of body style changes from the 2000 Series to the 2000i during the 2005 model year, and to the P2000i during the 2006 model year.

The model year 2000 Newells were good sound coaches.

Incidentally, Newell uses the term 'classic' to identify the body style of their coaches built prior to 1990 when the 2000 Series was introduced.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thanks sooo much, is there any big issue we should look for original owner 69 k miles?

That is low mileage for a 2000. Tires should be no more than 5 years old or you will need to replace them. Batteries should also be 3-5 years old and hold a charge well or they will need replacement.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

There is an entire section in this forum, where members have tried to provide answers to you exact questions. Look for the “what to consider when purchasing a used Newell”. You will find lots of details there.

You are looking at a 22 yr old, complex vehicle. Original build quality and low mileage are not necessarily indicators maintenance free ownership. It’s a 22 yr old house on wheels, it would be unrealistic to have problem free ownership.

I am just reacting to your post. Having owned previous motor homes, you already know they are not
Hondas. They all require work. But without some detail on the problems with the Entegra that have you wanting to go back to an older coach with better build quality, then it is hard to comment on will a 2000 Newell address your need.

Not trying to discourage you at all, just trying to get more details so we can provide info for you to make an informed decision.

Suspension, it’s twenty years old. Probably going to need new air bags if they haven’t been replace.
Radiator, some chance it will need a replacement radiator.
Electronics, TVs will need replacing if it hasn’t been done. All switches and controls are discrete, meaning no centralized system for turning on lights, AC, or raising blinds.

Where are you? And where is the coach? Sometimes it is possible for a guru to look at the coach with you.

Tell us more about you. In your previous motorhome ownership, did you do a lot of repair work and problem diagnosis or were you largely dependent upon RV service shops for work?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Wildwood,
Here is my experience with my Newell.
A year ago I purchased #586, a 2001 with 69k miles. From what I can tell I am the 4th owner. 1st owner paperwork was mostly provided. 2nd owner I only found one slip of paper on and that didn't fill in any info except where they lived. 3rd owner is a helicopter pilot, restorer, and owner so he knows about preventive maintenance. He took it to Newell for service so I found out about the last 3 years of service from them.
Batteries and tires were all replaced within the previous year when I purchased the coach. Still I expected to spend up to $15k on getting it up to the point I'm happy with. Right now I'm at $5k and almost 100 hours of my time.
I still have a little more to do but I will be under the Guru SWAG of getting the coach into the condition I want. Then after that it should be mostly PM when required.
Richard's questions and suggestions are spot on.
I read (almost daily) the new posts and have spent plenty of time reading all I could on this forum before I found our coach.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

Our hope is to find a mechanically sound older rig understanding that at 22years there will be random items in need of replacing or repairing-as engine/chassis work is not our forte, we are good with plumbing etc. and house repairs.

Here is the link…We are open to any thoughts or comments we are scheduled to view later this week if it is not sold.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/rvs/d...27331.html

Great looking coach. My only advice is that if you're serious about buying it figure out a way to bribe Tom into looking at it with you. Good luck.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

A few things about the writeup raise my eyebrows. I dont think thats a powertech generator, i think it is a kohler. Two the coach has an aluminum roof not fiberglass. Three i would be surprised if it had a transmission retarder, bonus points if it does. I only see one potty yet it is advertised as bath and a half.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard, you forgot the granite counter tops that have have been honed to look exactly like Corian. No way the poster is the owner. Reads more like someone attempting to sell it for someone who doesn't exactly know what they're selling.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO