You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tachometer

If you haven't pulled the tach gen yet sometimes the little driveshaft breaks too. You may also need that. Unless of course you opt for Toms fix!!

Jimmy

Jimmy, we did pull it and it looks like the tang is okay, as well as the little drive shaft inside the generator.....but it is generating no signal.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Here is a question someone may be able to answer. A number of months ago....probably back in February of 2012 when I was at Tom's home for 12 days fixing a "few" things I posted on the old forum about this issue, and where could I find the wiring, or sender, or whatever I was looking for. Steve (Prarieschooner) advised that these Stewart-Warner tachometers could be wired into the rear "taps" on the alternator. I'm sitting here thinking that if that is possible, and no additional sending/generator unit is necessary then why not re-route the wires to the alternator and get the signal from there? The Stewart-Warner documentation Steve forwarded at the time seemed to support that notion, but when we did not find any wiring from the tachometer attached to the taps on the alternator we (Tom and I) kind of gave up.....at that time there were much bigger fish to fry.

Any thoughts?

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB

VDO Manuel shows a version for diesel that connects to alternator tach signal post, you have that? I suspect that it is a different model than you have.
Check out e gauges for your manual.

Jimmy

Clarke, post the model number of your Tachometer. Sorry I won't be able to get back to our coach for a while.
PS We moved back into the cabin a little early. It is snowing now and below 30 degrees so I may need to plow the road before I can go to work (gotta leave by 5:00 AM!)

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

(04-08-2013, 03:59 PM)prairieschooner Wrote:  Clarke, post the model number of your Tachometer. Sorry I won't be able to get back to our coach for a while.
PS We moved back into the cabin a little early. It is snowing now and below 30 degrees so I may need to plow the road before I can go to work (gotta leave by 5:00 AM!)

How can I tell what model mine is?

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB

should be on the back side, try taking a picture with a digital camera on higher resolution. That way you may be able to increase the size and read it. I do this everyday while trying to read something that isn't really accessible. Here is a sample;    

cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Data on Sensor attached.. havent found an alternate supplier still looking..

Attached Files
.pdf 304-807s.pdf Size: 78.47 KB  Downloads: 8

Jimmy

I've been sick the past two days since Sunday when we did some trouble shooting on my tachometer issue, but Richard came by the coach today to help me be sure it was not the tachometer that was bad. All we had proved on Sunday was that we had wiring continuity to and from the tachometer on Sunday. He brought a 9 volt battery. He then attached two alligator clips with wires to the two tachometer terminals on the front electric/fuse panel and then began tapping one wire against one of the battery terminals......the tachometer immediately responded by reading 500 rpms steadily as long as Richard continued the rhythmic tapping. So, now we know for sure it is not the tachometer. It could either be the VDO generator, or the VDO generator drive key.....looks like a little paddle (See attached picture).

If it is the "key" then that is only a $10 part.....if it is the generator then that could run from $150 to $250. Going to disconnect the generator from the engine and use the electric drill with a flat head screw driver attachment and then spin it....if we get no signal at the tach, then it is the generator...if we get a signal then it should be the "key".

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB

I would be curious what happened to the "Key Stock"! was it lost inside the Diesel when it was pulled? could it be on the ground...? Guess that it depend on what it is made of huh.

PS I have lost stuff down and inside the engine and had to go fishing with a magnet before.
Good Luck!